Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not allowed guns for a few weeks... bow hunting question?

Not allowed guns for a few weeks... bow hunting question?

Head's up on anyone waiting for a PAL in the mail that was issued but not received yet...

Mine was approved/issued a few weeks ago (excellent turn-around time on that part of it) ... the website says to call in 2 weeks if you have not received it in the mail. It's been 2.5 so I figured I'd call just in case it got lost in the mail.

It turns out the system for printing up the licenses is having technical issues, so it's going to take a few more weeks for them to get it to me.

I was also advised that when the new license was issued, my old one became invalid, so I do not have a valid PAL for a few weeks.

Tentatively planned one last hunt with my brother this season for June 8, but technically I can only possess a gun if I am supervised. Was also told I can't transfer it (ie: have my brother pick up my rifle and bring it to me when he meets me at camp) ... only way I can bring a rifle is if my wife is able to come along which we aren't sure about yet.

I know the odds of getting checked are slim and the odds of a constable actually caring are slim to none, but I keep it squeaky clean when it comes to guns. I might be bow hunting LOL

My bow is set around 47lbs with a 26.5" draw. I'm not really interested in taking another bear this year but if I get the itch, will my setup work for a 250-300lb bear? (I think that's the biggest I'd run into). Shots would be limited to 30 yards.

Maybe I'll find out if bear spray works LOL, though there's a slight chance my brother might have a shotgun that meets legal specs to carry around while hunting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Not allowed guns for a few weeks... bow hunting question?

Had a similar issue & was told printer had broken down kept calling every 10 days took about 5 weeks after approval to receive PAL in mail.

47 is definitely light but would work for sure.

"Was also told I can't transfer it (ie: have my brother pick up my rifle and bring it to me when he meets me at camp) ....."
    whaaattt ?? Its non-restricted, just like an axe. Your bro has a PAL?
    Have never been asked for a PAL in the field
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

As long as you go with someone who has a valid one I wouldn't worry about it.
    I know a CO or 2 and when they have asked for my tags etc, I also offer up my PAL for them
    and they just say "don't need to see that".

Even with a speeding ticket my buddy got and the 3 of us all with rifles (in cases) last year on
    the way up, the rcmp officer never asked to see them.
    Although I would say they, the rcmp would be more interested to see it.

Just my experiences to date.

Has your current PAL expired? If not how can they say it is invalid because they issued you a new one but you haven't recieved it? F that. If the date on your current PAL is still good I wouldn't worry. That's bullshit.

Straight arrows and sharp broad heads and you are good to go!

rifles are for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Has your current PAL expired? If not how can they say it is invalid because they issued you a new one but you haven't recieved it? F that. If the date on your current PAL is still good I wouldn't worry. That's bullshit.
    You need the plastic in order to use your guns. You can keep the guns because its been approved ... That’s muh government for ya...

Its non restricted so he ( your friend) can use it (your gun) all he wants, just say it’s his (even though you don’t need to )... and you can use it just like a youth would ...

The word on the street and Gunnutz, is they aren’t printing cards because they are going to ban a bunch of guns. Turdo is set to announce it at some womans convention with the NZ Prime Minister.
    Last edited by limit time; 05-21-2019 at 04:42 PM.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    As long as you go with someone who has a valid one I wouldn't worry about it.
    I know a CO or 2 and when they have asked for my tags etc, I also offer up my PAL for them
    and they just say "don't need to see that".

Even with a speeding ticket my buddy got and the 3 of us all with rifles (in cases) last year on
    the way up, the rcmp officer never asked to see them.
    Although I would say they, the rcmp would be more interested to see it.

Just my experiences to date.
    I have only ever been asked for mine once by a CO several years ago and RCMP working along side CO's another time.

The only potential issue I would run into is if I got pulled over on the highway on the way there if I am driving solo (and even then there is a 0.00001% chance the constable would care) If my wife can make it, we're fine.

Risk is factor is pretty much nil, even if I was transporting solo, but I don't mind working around it and taking out the bow just to be squeaky clean.

I'm having fun with the idea of being "temporarily handicapped" with the bow. Glad it sounds like my set-up will work even though it's light at 47lbs and 26.5" draw.

Montec G5 100gr fixed blade broadheads will be the pointy thing on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    The word on the street and Gunnutz, is they aren’t printing cards because they are going to ban a bunch of guns. Turdo is set to announce it at some womans convention with the NZ Prime Minister.
    It does seem odd they would be having a technical issue with the printing system for this long LOL. But TBH if they are going to announce a gun ban early June, I don't see a heck of a lot of point in stalling RPAL renewals and citing technical issues... they can revoke them at the press of a button anyway... plus the liberals would have to let a lot of people in on their conspiracy and there would be a lot more chatter. I do think there is a good chance they will announce some form of gun ban or another, but I don't think it is related to the printing issue.

The person I spoke to was super nice and said she put in an escalation request. She said it would be printed within 5 days and if I still haven't got it in 3 weeks to call back.