Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: BC Chronic Wasting Disease Surveillance Program

Re: BC Chronic Wasting Disease Surveillance Program

Wow, they even banned salt licks & scents down there...

The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post
    Wow, they even banned salt licks & scents down there...

Just wondering how many states/ provinces have cattle grazing on public/crown land? Are we here in BC not the norm?
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Shouldn't this and drop-off sites be posted in the regs?
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Just wondering how many states/ provinces have cattle grazing on public/crown land? Are we here in BC not the norm?
    Cattle on public/crown land....ungulates on private land.....the mix happens both ways in a lot of states and provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Cattle on public/crown land....ungulates on private land.....the mix happens both ways in a lot of states and provinces.
    True. I guess Wildlife doesn't care if land is public or private.

Wildlife is going to seek out licks whether they are natural or man made. Having more options the bush probably concentrates wildlife less than a few naturally occurring licks.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Shouldn't this and drop-off sites be posted in the regs?
    That list seems to be compiled in May, Long after the regs are published. An earlier post in this thread lists the regional drop off sites. apparently the Front Desk offices have bags and labels for the heads. The most commonly listed drop off site is the Ministry of the environment or Conservation Officer Service Office.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

It's very interesting to see how proactive these Bios are, they all know that the spread of CWD is for certain. We must be more responsive to change if BC wants to be kept clean of CWD.
    The funded studies have been going on for some time now and we still want to debate the De-Bait. So sad.

Keeping the Wisconsin ban in context -
    It's in effect on four of the 72 counties in that state which is just over 5%.
    It is also aprox 7% of the total land mass of the state.

I simply call this out as many could misinterpret the video as saying the entire state has a ban.
    Not taking away from the serious potential threat that CWD represents, just keeping facts straight.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

guest Guest

Just finished watching a terrific show on Waterton Lakes area and the G Bear management program. Through the show, various HUGE FARMS, Cattle RANCHES are in what is called the Biosphere area, just outside the park. This in connection with the Nature Conservatory of Canada. Guess what, through growth of poplar trees invading the ranch land, the ranchers, to keep the trees in check, and have the cattle stomp the trees, placed several salt blocks throughout this area. This same area is frequented by at times huge heards of Elk and White Tail deer. The Nature Conservatory of Canada involved.
    So before those opposed to our little spreads of bait with hay alphalfa mix, some apples, COB ...... Again NO comparison to the Texas Tower Drop station or those supplying feed year round.
    Last edited by guest; 12-17-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Keeping the Wisconsin ban in context -
    It's in effect on four of the 72 counties in that state which is just over 5%.
    It is also aprox 7% of the total land mass of the state.

I simply call this out as many could misinterpret the video as saying the entire state has a ban.
    Not taking away from the serious potential threat that CWD represents, just keeping facts straight.
    Once again here is a system that is being proactive a dealing with it before it gets worst. Forget about the proportions, think about the possible long term effect if nothing is done.
    Montana, and Idaho are also looking at CWD closer than ever before. Alberta and Sask. also.

Kind of reminds me of the Pine Beetle and how the hot small hot zone didn't get the smack down.
    The Flu starts off in one community and bang off it goes. Isn't that the big reason for nipping it a the bud?
    Still very funny how some feel that it's ok in small amounts. Nature will let you know whats OK, thats for sure.