Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice for First Time Moose Hunter

Re: Advice for First Time Moose Hunter

Its the greates, Those times with my dad kept me out of a pile of crap later in life. Right when i was going to do something stupid i would think about loosing his respect. My dad did stuff with me, he always made time. Course that time usually had me gutting stuff but hey! what'er dads for. You gotta take your kids. I dont have none yet but you bet, they'll be hunting.

Yup .. DEF great to get the kids involved. MY daughter got her full hunting licence this year and she is stoked to see me down my doe. She shot and gutted 3 grouse last year (shes 14 and son is 8 )and was hoping to win a doe since they are so easy to find for her first big game. BUT she is coming to assist with mine! The kids at school call her katniss! (after the hunger games character). Son wants to kill a deer too... but I think he will start with grouse when his time comes.

Back to gutting moose... have a bucket of hot water for your knives to help stop the blood from colagulating and sticking to your blades in between sharpenings.

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    any Youtube vid's you guys would recommend for quartering and gutting? My experience with deer has not necessitated quartering.
    Gutless field dressing an elk with Jay Scott, I'm watching it now. No need for saws, or winches, I can take out a full moose by myself in six or seven pack loads. Remember, a moose has a huge amount of meat on the ribs and belly, and even the tenderloins can be taken without opening the gut cavity!

Quote Originally Posted by Taurusguy View Post
    haha 835 .. i hear those words from my old man too! worth it though Stay up all night picking hair off the carcass, cutting out blood shot and wiping it down with a wet rag with a bottle of whiskey to keep me warm

Oh also have several knives with you. Moose hair is nasty for dulling your blade fast.
    The trick is to not cut the hair. Make a small hole in the hide, then slide your blade under with cutting edge up and cut up from under the hide, your knife stays sharp longer and you cut loose less hair so the meat stays cleaner!!

get back to the tool crib i need a head lamp.

Cut the hide with a sharp knife from the inside of the moose when dividing quarters, then you get minimal hair contamination on the rich red moose meat.
    Try using your imagination and think what it would be like driving on a forest road, in MU 5-01, with a valid any bull moose tag, and you look out the window and see a five point bull moose standing there by the edge of the swamp only seventy yards away?
    Put yourself in different scenarios of seeing moose, when your out in 5-1 driving along, by water sources with yellow swamp grass, with some spruce trees with moss hanging down from the branches.
    Or coming around a corner and seeing a bull in the middle of the road. Whaaaaa?
    JElvis .. Imagine for yourself, what would I do if I was in 5-01 hunting and I saw some moose? Then imagine.
    If you do this, it will help you when you are hunting bull moose and actually see the huge beast standing or running.
    Good luck and please take at least ten pictures to show and tell after you score a Bulls Eye!
    Last edited by Jelvis; 06-28-2012 at 09:59 PM.

The best advice that was ever given to me for moose hunt was "Drop em close to the road". One day I hope to fallow that advice.
    I have a PHD is "Campfire BS". An avid hunter fisher man. Love shooting trap as much as shooting the bull. The more BS in my story the greater I am.

Good advice too for sure the closer to access the better as far as dragging bull moose goes.
    One thing to get really into now, now that you have a valid bull moose leh tag in 5-01
    Do your homework on MU 5-01 individually, and also along with your hunting partner together planning for this bull moose hunt of a life time. The access road your going to try first, the day your going to plan to start hunting.
    Map reading on that spot, Google earth, BC Back Road Map for all the bush roads and water sources ..
    The planning is a big part of any big game hunting opportunity and should be shared with hunting partners.
    Jel .. Congratulations on you lucky LEH any bull moose in 5-1 .. Plan it out, know your prey and know your land ..
    Learn the moose's habits and it's likes, and study the area from maps .. Learn compass directions for the area also
    Measure out km distances on the map so you know how far to drive and where the road splits or where a moose pond is situated. Plan it all out with your hunting partner, write things down, mark maps with light pencil.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 06-28-2012 at 10:17 PM.

If me hunting for moose pound many different slashes first light and late evenings at that time of the year the moose like the food in them older slashes your scouting will help big time look for water holes moose love them during late summer months ,google earth will help you see the slashes then print the different areas on your printer to take with you ,good luck with your scouting this summer..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 06-29-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Fantastic pieces of advice, guys. Thanks all. Keep it coming. Thanks to those who've PM'ed me too. You've given my hunting partners and I lots to process and ideas on how we should work things.
    There seems to be some debate here about whether quartering or no-gut method is best for moose.