Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new knife sharpener

Re: Looking for new knife sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    I see this often, but am not totally sure as to why. I don't think there's any evidence (that I've seen - admittedly, haven't looked super hard) to suggest that something like a Chef's Choice actually damages knives. I've read a lot of anecdotal stuff about removing too much steel, etc, but I assume that most of us wouldn't be jamming a knife down in there so hard as to be overdoing it or doing it excessively.

It's a curious thing...is it a wive's tale or is it legit?
    One of the problems with power sharpeners can be heat. Any power tool will generate heat on the blade and it can, technically, affect the heat treating of the blade.

While I believe that this is totally possible on the very thin edge of the blade, I dont think it should be a concern as long as you arent dragging the knife across your power tool (ex. Belt sander) at a snail's pace and allowing the thin edge to get red hot.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I dont think it should be a concern as long as you arent dragging the knife across your power tool (ex. Belt sander) at a snail's pace and allowing the thin edge to get red hot.
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at...a knife has to get pretty hot to affect the heat treatment (I'm assuming...I'm no metallurgist, but it seems like a "given", so to speak).

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at...a knife has to get pretty hot to affect the heat treatment (I'm assuming...I'm no metallurgist, but it seems like a "given", so to speak).
    I know .... but it's one of those things people hear and take out of context and before you know it all power sharpeners are bad.

It gets hot very fast on thin section. If you have a colour change it has gone soft.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    OR......you could just get a cheap scandi grind Mora and sharpen it with a file. Been doing it with the same knife since Boy Scouts and it works just fine.
    That's what I do. Hand file right outta the toolchest and touch it up at the end with a stone. Only takes a couple minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    That's what I do. Hand file right outta the toolchest and touch it up at the end with a stone. Only takes a couple minutes.
    It's a knife .. not a chisel. Not going to carry around a scandi grind knife and a file like some savage. Have some class you guys. Lol

I bought a diamond hone for my Lansky, it takes material off pretty quick. I don't find it hard at all to clamp the knife in, once in there it get's the right angle everytime. Maybe you are overthinking it?

Quote Originally Posted by troutseeker View Post
    once in there it get's the right angle everytime
    Except that it doesn't

The lansky suffers from several major flaws, the biggest of which, is that there is no CONSISTENT way to ensure you are clamping the knife in the exact same position on the clamp jaws. Seat the knife a little further in or a little forward and the angle changes, despite you using the exact same angle guide every time. As you can see in the picture below, the same 20* angle guide is used yet the resulting angles 1 & 2 are different, simply because the knife wasn't positioned in the same way. I've tried marking the jaws myself, but if you have more than 2 knives you eventually get confused and have to spend time doing "trial" runs anyways to ensure you've set it up correctly or as close to as last time as possible.

Even if the difference is not as drastic as the picture below depicts it is still enough to move the angles out of alignment with your blade and you are effectively "reprofiling" your blade. It might be VERY slight, but its there. This means slightly longer sharpening times. you can easily prove this by using a sharpie and coloring the blade edge then proceeding with the sharpening. If you did not position the knife exactly as your previous sharpening you will notice it on the way the sharpie is coming off.

Something else I hate: Sharpening small blades (ex swiss army knife) with small angles (ex.15*) is difficult as the stone can hit the top of the jaws or top of the adjusting screw when the stone is so low.

Another problem with Lansky is the clamping system. Some blades can be difficult to clamp securely without resorting to "hugging" the blade. As most blades are a wedge shape you end up with your guides looking like this (pic found on google). Well .... with your guides set up like this, now the angles are not correct at all. While this will still provide a CONSISTENT sharpening, you can't claim that it's a true 20* or 17* or whatever.

Again, don't get me wrong .... the system DOES work. I just find it too much of a pain in the ass after years of fiddling with the setup to maintain consistency.

This guy is obviously having the same issue ... another pic found on google:

Theres a small step on my lansky clamp that most of my knives securely clamp at.....if there wasn't one could just scribe a mark or use a sharpie.