Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Hunt with a 8 year old kid in weekends?

Where to Hunt with a 8 year old kid in weekends?

Hello Everyone,

I live in Coquitlam BC. My wife and I have a 8 years old son and a 6 years old daughter. Due to Covid 19, a lot of the indoor activities were either shut down or we don't feel safe to go inside to join the activities (eg. Vancouver Aquarium, Science world, climb base 5, chuck n cheese, etc). The border to US is also closed and the travel is restricted. So I am trying some new things to do with the kids in local areas.

I got my hunting license this year, and is looking for some place to take my kids to hunt during the weekend. The idea is to take the kid out enjoy some outdoor activities (instead of playing video game/ ipad in home), and also teach them where the food came from. The meat don't just came from plastic bag, they were from live animals and people will have to kill the animals in order to obtain the meat, and we should be appreciated with the meat we eat and shall not waste any meat/food.

I went to Merritt and East Gate area in the past 2 weekends with my son, no luck. We saw a lot of deer running across road, but there are trees everywhere, there is no way to stop the vehicle, identify the animal with proper points and then shoot in such short amount of time. I can't really hike into the woods with my son, he is too short. I tried to do that, and he got 2 scratches on his face with the tree branches/shrubs. Then I am thinking about to take my family to Haida Gwaii to do some fishing and hunting. Then I realized the island is closed for non-essential travels........

Currently, I am thinking about doing some duck/geese hunting in the Delta Area. I did my research on Ladner Marsh, Brunswick Point and Westham Island. It seems those area are pretty dangerous for in experienced people. There are something to do with water holes, tides, etc. If the water is to my waste deep, then it is up to my son's neck, he is too short to walk on lands like that.

Then I checked Boundary Bay area. I have never been to the hunting area of the Boundary Bay, but I have been to the Centennial Beach before, and I liked there. The terrain in the area is suitable for walking with young kids. I assume the hunting portion area will be similar? I will have to check this weekend.

I know there are a lot of private farms around the area and in Delta. So I am thinking about Door to Door knock and ask permission to hunt in their private land. Before I go out to ask farmers one by one, I am just wondering if any of you know any farms who is willing to let kids hunt in their land (my son won't shoot, he need to be 10 years old to actually shoot (I think)). Or if you have any recommendations in hunting in those areas with kids. I have all the licences and hunting liability insurances from Port Coquitlam Hunting and Fishing Club.

I also heard rumors about
    Associated Wildlife preserves, it seems they talk with the farmers and leased a lot of lands in Delta. But I couldn't find any more information regarding to that.

The idea way to hunt is I hide inside blinds with my kids (I don't mind buying 2 blinds) on dry land (not inside water). Then waiting for goose/duck fly over, then shot them down, then my kids go pick up the birds back (My daughter is allergic to dogs, so we don't have dogs after my previous dog passed away).

If any of you have any information to help me out, I would be greatly appreciate it. If you can take me out for 1 day or 2, that would be even better so I know what gears to buy and how to hunt (I currently have camo jacket and a 12ga shot gun).

Associated Wildlife

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Where to Hunt with a 8 year old kid in weekends?

Go back to those areas and hunt the clear-cut early in the morning and late evening watch the treeline as most deer are sticking close to them right now with the amount of hunters out this year ,spotting deer in clearings will give you adequate time to identify.Drive into clearings walk the edges or find a good spot to sit and watch bring a seat and snacks for your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by 139grainsofhell View Post
    Go back to those areas and hunt the clear-cut early in the morning and late evening watch the treeline as most deer are sticking close to them right now with the amount of hunters out this year ,spotting deer in clearings will give you adequate time to identify.Drive into clearings walk the edges or find a good spot to sit and watch bring a seat and snacks for your kids.
    So basically go to Eastgate to Copper Mountain area, find a cut block before sunrise, then wait there and scoping the treelines? Will this work on any random cut block? I heard people using trail cameras months before the hunting season start to find a cut block to scoping on. If I just go by a random cut block, will the chances be very very low?

Thanks

I as well have an 8 year old boy and 6 year old girl. My boy has been coming out for 3 years now. we leave at 5am, he usually gets another 30-45 of sleep in the truck on our way up the hill. We either park and start to hike into a cut block, or we just on the quad and get to our park spot and hike in. When he was younger, I would strap his mini camp chair to my pack and we would walk in, but if the terrain got tough (boggy/water, big logs ect.), i would carry him for a distance until he was able to continue on his own. Even though we have some pretty decent gear for him, his hands and feet would start to get cold and the whining would start. So now he unwraps a set of hand and foot warmers as we're getting close to parking so that they have a chance to warm up before putting his boots on. No more whining. I also unwrap any snacks of treats we bring and put them in a zip lock bag so that he can snack in somewhat silence. Try and find a block that has a deactivated road leading to it so that you don't have any through traffic busting you.but thats what we typically do.......hike to a nice lookong cut block, with limited access, and we usually see some action. Good luck out there

Quote Originally Posted by kelowna.jordan View Post
    I as well have an 8 year old boy and 6 year old girl. My boy has been coming out for 3 years now. we leave at 5am, he usually gets another 30-45 of sleep in the truck on our way up the hill. We either park and start to hike into a cut block, or we just on the quad and get to our park spot and hike in. When he was younger, I would strap his mini camp chair to my pack and we would walk in, but if the terrain got tough (boggy/water, big logs ect.), i would carry him for a distance until he was able to continue on his own. Even though we have some pretty decent gear for him, his hands and feet would start to get cold and the whining would start. So now he unwraps a set of hand and foot warmers as we're getting close to parking so that they have a chance to warm up before putting his boots on. No more whining. I also unwrap any snacks of treats we bring and put them in a zip lock bag so that he can snack in somewhat silence. Try and find a block that has a deactivated road leading to it so that you don't have any through traffic busting you.but thats what we typically do.......hike to a nice lookong cut block, with limited access, and we usually see some action. Good luck out there

Thank you for the information, I got the idea. Do you think West/East Harrison lake area will work? or do I need to go further such as east gate or boston bars? Does your kid complain after a few hours waiting and no action? how do you handle that situation?

Region 2 is a hard hunt if you are road hunting. Its thick and you don't see much game. Id wait until October and hit areas of region 3, 5 or 8 for any buck in terrain that is not too steep. Hunt for grouse or rabbits. Kids love that and they are more common than bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JcNemo View Post
    Thank you for the information, I got the idea. Do you think West/East Harrison lake area will work? or do I need to go further such as east gate or boston bars? Does your kid complain after a few hours waiting and no action? how do you handle that situation?
    We usually sit for a couple of hours and as his attention lessens, I ask him questions on where he thinks the animals would come out of or head to. Or which way the wind is blowing and how that will affect our position. The 5 cent candies every 20 minutes keeps him keep to sit longer. Once he's done, we do some easy, slow walking and either head to another spot to sit or explore on the quad.
    Last edited by kelowna.jordan; 09-23-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Boundary for ducks/ geese would be fine with kids. It is very flat. I would not take kids to Brunswick.

Quote Originally Posted by JcNemo View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I live in Coquitlam BC. My wife and I have a 8 years old son and a 6 years old daughter. Due to Covid 19, a lot of the indoor activities were either shut down or we don't feel safe to go inside to join the activities (eg. Vancouver Aquarium, Science world, climb base 5, chuck n cheese, etc). The border to US is also closed and the travel is restricted. So I am trying some new things to do with the kids in local areas.

I got my hunting license this year, and is looking for some place to take my kids to hunt during the weekend. The idea is to take the kid out enjoy some outdoor activities (instead of playing video game/ ipad in home), and also teach them where the food came from. The meat don't just came from plastic bag, they were from live animals and people will have to kill the animals in order to obtain the meat, and we should be appreciated with the meat we eat and shall not waste any meat/food.

I went to Merritt and East Gate area in the past 2 weekends with my son, no luck. We saw a lot of deer running across road, but there are trees everywhere, there is no way to stop the vehicle, identify the animal with proper points and then shoot in such short amount of time. I can't really hike into the woods with my son, he is too short. I tried to do that, and he got 2 scratches on his face with the tree branches/shrubs. Then I am thinking about to take my family to Haida Gwaii to do some fishing and hunting. Then I realized the island is closed for non-essential travels........

Currently, I am thinking about doing some duck/geese hunting in the Delta Area. I did my research on Ladner Marsh, Brunswick Point and Westham Island. It seems those area are pretty dangerous for in experienced people. There are something to do with water holes, tides, etc. If the water is to my waste deep, then it is up to my son's neck, he is too short to walk on lands like that.

Then I checked Boundary Bay area. I have never been to the hunting area of the Boundary Bay, but I have been to the Centennial Beach before, and I liked there. The terrain in the area is suitable for walking with young kids. I assume the hunting portion area will be similar? I will have to check this weekend.

I know there are a lot of private farms around the area and in Delta. So I am thinking about Door to Door knock and ask permission to hunt in their private land. Before I go out to ask farmers one by one, I am just wondering if any of you know any farms who is willing to let kids hunt in their land (my son won't shoot, he need to be 10 years old to actually shoot (I think)). Or if you have any recommendations in hunting in those areas with kids. I have all the licences and hunting liability insurances from Port Coquitlam Hunting and Fishing Club.

I also heard rumors about
    Associated Wildlife preserves, it seems they talk with the farmers and leased a lot of lands in Delta. But I couldn't find any more information regarding to that.

The idea way to hunt is I hide inside blinds with my kids (I don't mind buying 2 blinds) on dry land (not inside water). Then waiting for goose/duck fly over, then shot them down, then my kids go pick up the birds back (My daughter is allergic to dogs, so we don't have dogs after my previous dog passed away).

If any of you have any information to help me out, I would be greatly appreciate it. If you can take me out for 1 day or 2, that would be even better so I know what gears to buy and how to hunt (I currently have camo jacket and a 12ga shot gun).

Associated Wildlife

please do not take anything i say below to be offensive; i certainly do not mean it to come across that way

i think it is awesome that you are trying to get your kids outside to learn new things

here however, and certainly not to dissuade you from going, is my opinion on how to go about it

it takes years and years to become comfortable and somewhat proficient in the ways of the wilds; may people here have grown up locally and so have had a lifetime to acclimate

from your post, it appears you have very little experience in the wild; and i assume you do not have a rifle and have never killed a game bird or animal

if this is true then for your kid's safety (and respect for your prey) i firstly suggest that you become fully comfortable with your guns (packing, shooting reloading storing etc etc) AND have the kids understand where they should be when papa has a gun

secondly, i would be inclined to head out to region 3/5/8, find a fsr and start practice shooting (stationary, offhand etc etc)

at the same time figure out how to 'clean your catch' - lots of youtube videos on how to clean grouse, deer etc

what happens 'after the shooting' ???

because you have (again, i am assuming) little woodsmanship, you could really expose your kids and yourself to grave danger in any number of ways

in the wild (even without guns) things can go from A-OK to tragic very, very fast

again, take no offence from what i have written, simply put, the wilds of BC will get respect - either voluntarily or otherwise

good luck

chris

Its tough with kids when you live in the LM. Day trips are really exhausting.

If I was you, and I will be in 7 years when my daughter turns 8, I would do motel/cabin hunts out of Merritt, cache creek, logan lake etc.

I wouldnt let covid dissuade me from that. Bring your own bedding, utensils, cutlery etc ... go in before kiddos, disinfect touching surfaces and you should.be good to go.

You gotta get off the paved roads a bit and its tough when you're on a day trip. Its exhausting.