Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Peace Region Moose and Northern Cariboo

Re: Peace Region Moose and Northern Cariboo

Resident hunters might have to shut down the north east to get the NDPs attention. Or maybe mass civil disobedience and just all go hunting against the laws they are foisting on us. There is no way guided hunters should have preference over resident hunters and I have been saying for years that if we need LEH there should be no allocation for non resident hunters or wealthy BC residents who use guides regularly.

Exclamation Re: Peace Region Moose and Northern Cariboo

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    Then the Government decided that they still like GO more than residents and changed the allocation to 75% residents and 25% non residents. Which means ~476 resident tags and 159 non resident allocations....out of approx 45000 animals.
    Above and beyond the social management of wildlands and wildlife resources, this is an extreme concern.

The legislated split between residents and outfitters is 91 % to 9 %.
    NOT 75 to 25 %.
    In fact some outfitters will realize gains in their quotas if this is allowed to proceed.

This very much IS a Hill To Die On Folks!
    We MUST let those in power know that we refuse to sit idly by while they take away our access to OUR resources, manage by emotion, and place outfitters & their clients above and beyond us.

VERY much time to draw the line in the sand here!

Oddly enough, I don't see too much spewing coming from the outfitters that were in opposition to opposing these moves on this thread any more. Caught Red Handed is very much what it stinks like...

Ticked Right Off,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Above and beyond the social management of wildlands and wildlife resources, this is an extreme concern.

The legislated split between residents and outfitters is 91 % to 9 %.
    NOT 75 to 25 %.
    In fact some outfitters will realize gains in their quotas if this is allowed to proceed.

This very much IS a Hill To Die On Folks!
    We MUST let those in power know that we refuse to sit idly by while they take away our access to OUR resources, manage by emotion, and place outfitters & their clients above and beyond us.

VERY much time to draw the line in the sand here!

Oddly enough, I don't see too much spewing coming from the outfitters that were in opposition to opposing these moves on this thread any more. Caught Red Handed is very much what it stinks like...

Ticked Right Off,
    Nog
    Nog, you better go take a refresher on allocation splits before you have a stroke.
    How many moose in 7B were on LEH?
    Didn't government say some time ago that they were looking at harmonizing seasons with 7B & 6?
    Whats the Region 6 North moose allocation split?
    It’s bullshit you’re making this a resident versus outfitter issue when we all got blindsided.
    “ Caught red handed” my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Nog, you better go take a refresher on allocation splits before you have a stroke.
    How many moose in 7B were on LEH?
    Didn't government say some time ago that they were looking at harmonizing seasons with 7B & 6?
    Whats the Region 6 North moose allocation split?
    It’s bullshit you’re making this a resident versus outfitter issue when we all got blindsided.
    “ Caught red handed” my ass.
    Well sure don't hear any complaints mr my ass. The damned guides need to be shut out of any zone under LEH once and for all, give them an inch and they back door broker even more.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Well sure don't hear any complaints mr my ass. The damned guides need to be shut out of any zone under LEH once and for all, give them an inch and they back door broker even more.
    HappyJack, it’s debatable if you’re even a hunter or a strait up anti shit disturber.
    If your wish comes true and outfitters disappear off the scene watch how fast resident hunting opportunities sink.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    HappyJack, it’s debatable if you’re even a hunter or a strait up anti shit disturber.
    If your wish comes true and outfitters disappear off the scene watch how fast resident hunting opportunities sink.
    Why are you better than resident hunters?

I have no problems with guides/outfitters operating within my traditional territory, just so long as we who are born and raised here are not disadvantaged to give them the advantage of making money from my source of food.

The thing is Bearvalley, is that most the GO's in the 7B are not residents. I am not sure the exact numbers, but I believe that most outfits are foreign owned and they have a Canadian as the "Guide Outfitter" and I think a few of those are Americans who hold dual citizenship. So, they really don't give a shit about resident hunters. As long as we don't land on "Their" lake, hunt "their" valley or park at "their" trailhead, they couldn't give two shits about of us and our 486 LEH tags we get. They get 162 tags to sell for an average of ~$8000 US. Not bad for a couple meetings with Government.

A quick update

- It is supposed to be a 2 year "trial" with a review in 2023
    - Treaty 8 wishes to get long with their "neighbors"
    - Any bull LEH from Sept 1-Nov 15 with rut closure (not sure if that will be all of 7B or just the areas that are already closed)
    - Proposed that LEH will be in 2 week increments, so possibly 12 time frames
    - Goal is to avoid overlap with Treaty 8 during cultural specific time periods & locations of traditional hunting
    - Guide Quota - Based on 5 yr Annual Allowable Harvest(2016-2019) which they claim resulted in 1296 Moose being taken/year the number would be 50/50 (64, but of that 648 for general public that would be split with a Guide Quota of 75/25 - 486 resident, 162 non resident. In other words that would result in a reduction for the general population of roughly 90% opportunity while the GOABC would increase by 40%; TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!
    - Compulsory Reporting - query if that would extend to both parties to get proper data, Treaty 8 & General Public; seems unfair to require only one side, unrealistic that
    scientific definable value can be obtained; when the numbers are split disproportionately between the populations numbers (Treaty 8 vs General public)

Moving forward

- Bring people together (wildlife working group)
    • Invest in wildlife habitat restoration, enhancement, protection
    • Invest in research and monitoring
    • Conduct post-hunting season management reviews
    • Make recommendations for 2024

- new terminology OCAP - Ownership Control Access & Possession being used
    - Discussion about harmonizing regulations between Region 6, 7A & 7B
    ✴ Info that Region 7A does already have some restrictions in the Parsnip area
    ✴ Region 6 has restrictions as a result of access closures

This is the nuts and bolts of a meeting held last week

Biggest issues are: going to LEH to appease a certain group when there is no wildlife population concerns and the BIGGEST, 25% or 162 animals going to non residents, 40% more than they would usually kill in a year..... And remember, this is from a population of an estimated 45000 moose.

So from this meeting, it sounds like a done deal and that the public "consultation" will be just going through the motions. Still we should all answer the call when it does come out.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

- Proposed that LEH will be in 2 week increments, so possibly 12 time frames

ffs
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    Why are you better than resident hunters?
    Where do you come up with that?
    My point was that if outfitters and non resident hunters are erased in BC watch how fast all licensed hunting disappears.
    Here’s some points to consider emerson.
    How many resident hunters spend countless hours, of their personal time working with government, biologists, First Nations and other stakeholders to work on wildlife issues to ensure we have wildlife and can continue to hunt.
    How much predator management is done in the north by hunters from the south like IronNoggin?
    Not a hell of a lot.
    Many northern BC wildlife studies in recent times have been funded by organizations such as the WSF, SCI & GSCO….that money is secured through auctions attended by non residents for the most part.
    Do you think those same hunting organizations are going to support BC if the gate slams shut?
    Do you think WSSBC will survive long without the support of the WSF?
    How many Air Charter companies in northern BC are outfitter owned emerson?
    Do you think they’ll still be around if guys like you and IronNoggin get your wish and the guiding business ends?
    I highly doubt it?
    There’s a small, core group of outfitter haters…..maybe resident hunters need to study the antics of that group.
    That core group might think their BS will end the outfitting industry but they’re also stabbing BC resident hunters in the back as well.
    Too bad everyone on this site doesn’t start using their real names.. I bet the wind would go out of a few.