Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

Re: Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    Carrying an unloaded rifle in griz country is like carrying a club.
    The main reason I got 45/70 Defenders for both Eve & I. When I see fresh grizz signs the gun is chambered with a 540 gr when alone & ready to use almost immediately.
    If hunting with a partner the chamber is empty in general.

Re: the story. Couldn't find any info on the shooting so far!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Any discussion on firearm safety is good.

But I question the validity of the first post.

There is no evidence such an incident occurred.

There are many firearm safety rules, but the most important is muzzle control.

Most times it's perfectly safe to have a loaded chamber and safety on. But If you are in a situation where your muzzle cannot be controlled, the firearm needs to be unloaded.

You can be half asleep, loaded chamber, safety off and finger on the trigger but as long as the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction nobody is going to get killed. Obviously don't do these things but hopefully you get the point.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

^
    As with any tool, if you make 2 mistakes at the same time, it can/most likely will result in an accident. (Gun, table-saw, etc)

Police carry loaded firearms on them everyday. Lots of them. Never hear of any incidents regarding that.
    Get that into their hands and now they have to make 2 mistakes at the same time to hear about it (finger on the trigger and muzzle direction)

Hunting is no different. I'm sure lots of guys get away from making one mistake, but 2 is going to catch up with you fast.

Hopefully the hunter is ok, and we can all learn from what happened.

I proof my safety safe each and every time before I load the rifle...If I'm out hunting in the bush, the rifle is loaded and on safety.

Never had an accidental discharge where the rifle was at fault (even with my 700's)

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post

Most times it's perfectly safe to have a loaded chamber and safety on. But If you are in a situation where your muzzle cannot be controlled, the firearm needs to be unloaded.

You can be half asleep, loaded chamber, safety off and finger on the trigger but as long as the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction nobody is going to get killed. Obviously don't do these things but hopefully you get the point.

Remember people, Gun safety doesn't end when the animal is down.

So many pictures of people and dead animals with firearms laying on the critter, pointing towards the hunter.
    This is not only terrible personal gun handling, it is terrible promotion that others seem to copy.

Right Gate?

Why all the flap over the safety? Did I miss something? Some are eluding to the safety as the issue.

I have seen 3 accidental discharges, one of them was me while holding and shooting a 38 at the range, cocked it and the frigging thing went off in my hands, no thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post

Best bet is to not have one in the chamber until you need it don’t you thinks Gates....that way all parties know the guns not going to go off.
    Thats been my policy for years with guided clients and in cases were they don’t want to pay attention the hunt can come to an end quick.
    Many years ago a client I was guiding was told twice not to be packing an un-safetied rifle.
    The third time there was no talking.
    He passed me his gun to go in an floatplane, the safety was off, I cracked the bolt to see a shell under the hammer....the rifle went in the lake and the hunt terminated right there.
    Looked damn funny watching him retrieve his rifle in waist deep water.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterguy View Post
    It’s like how many guys out there check their safety’s. it’s something mechanical and can easily fail. You walk around with a shell in and put the safety on but does it work. Just a heads up stay safe.
    So True Hunterguy Always when with others never put one into the action only in the clip never trust the safety.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 12-13-2020 at 09:32 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..