Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Early Bison Draw Zone A Oct. 1st - 15th

Re: Early Bison Draw Zone A Oct. 1st - 15th

Just getting some more stuff in order for the hunt. We have the option of grabbing a polaris ranger side by side that is under 500kg gvw. Does anyone know if the road limit is dry gvw of vehicle or is it with total load?

Also has anyone been allowed to camp on the ranch?

Thanks,

Craig

we have group hunt for Bison this year from October 1-15. Do you have phone number for Vern or cabins & other info about trespass fees etc?

guest Guest

Dixie Chicks Killed VERN ..... He is no More ................ Contact the Blue Berry F/N Ranch out of Ft. St. Johnothan Info should be in the pack u get from Gov. BCExpect tp part company with Big money for Access and or Cabin. and by the way .......... Learn the Gutless Method for dressing your critter.

If it's frozen save the money and go around. It's supper easy, one bad dip is all. Plus bison are on the trail, that is where I shot mine. You pop out onto the road that can be followed to rob lake( I think, never went that far). We were there in nov and seen a guy that was staying at the ranch loading a buffalo into his truck at horse camp which is basically the end of where atv's can go by the map.
    Go to McElhanney in Fsj and ask for a map of pink mt for a bison hunt and they know exactly what your looking for with all the trails.
    Talk to the tompsters (spelling may be wrong) and ask to camp there with the wall tent if the cabins are booked.
    If you want a Garmin gps track of the trail around pm me your email

biggest note is most side by sides are over the weight limit but no one seems to monitor it any way, quads are restricted to 400 mm from the train but sleds can go anywhere so if it's cold take at least one sled preferable with out paddles along just incase it is down way off the trail.
    Last edited by Ry151; 07-24-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iltasyuko View Post
    I went in January so can't offer much help. We were planning to set a wall tent deep in the valley, but after doing the math on time needed to shuttle all the crap needed to put a wall tent camp together and get it back out, plus get an animal out, we decided to rent a cabin and spend our time hunting.

I know when Vern was running the cabin / trespass fee, he would have let us set a tent on the ranch no charge - I totally forget what the trespass fee was in 2011.
    I was the same way...but now in hind site, I would shuttle all my crap in and stay deeper in the valley...especially in the early part of the season. That being said though you can only go so far on quads since you won't have any snow in early october. If you stay at the back of the ATV access area...even if its in the bands cabins there, you will have a head start on everyone...there is only so much value to driving a snowmobile or ATV behind a bunch of other hunters...if you are out front driving the trail and its still dark...again there is no value there as you will only spook animals without being able to shoot them...if you are already out there at day break you may have an advantage. To stand at a swamp or clearing without the animals hearing an ATV roll in would be what you want in October IMO

I think the tresspass fee was 150 for the tag holder and 100 for each helper...if it was winter again when I got the draw I wouldn't pay the trespass fee or rent a cabin, I would be just as comfy in my wall tent and the trail around wasn't really that bad...in October though, that swamp you need to cross...that could get ugly. I would at the very least check it out before I paid the fee though, or pay the fee for 1 and that guy takes your gear through, and everyone else goes around.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Thank you for all the info it was very helpful.

Hi Darksith, I would sure appreciate a gps map of the area! also do you know the gvw of atvs and snowmobiles of the area, also how was your hunt? thanks for the info

Thanks for all the great info, we got a bison leh for Nov 20 - Dec 5 and are heading up for the first time so I really appreciate all the tips!!