Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bow hunting shot distance

Re: Bow hunting shot distance

I practice out to 60 yards, but both deer I've taken were at 30 yards. The fun part of spot and stalk mule deer hunting, is seeing how close I can get. I did miss a big Alberta deer last year from 20 yards. I had a vane come off in flight, and ended up taking off a small patch of belly hair. (the buck's, not mine)
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
    I practice out to 60 yards, but both deer I've taken were at 30 yards. The fun part of spot and stalk mule deer hunting, is seeing how close I can get. I did miss a big Alberta deer last year from 20 yards. I had a vane come off in flight, and ended up taking off a small patch of belly hair. (the buck's, not mine)
    Sooo! Just how much belly hair do you have

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

80 yards piece of cake
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

65 yards is my furthest at it was a 300lb muley buck with a pass through. I practice out to 90 and I find that is the greatest thing that I did when it came to practising.

I also found shooting a smaller animal and or with a rifle if it is a new species really helped me in the long run. Once I got the first one I found I relaxed a whole bunch and then was able to pass on the less favourable shots more. The one thing I did figure out is you cannot shoot a whitetail when they are looking at you no matter how close they are. They can drop to their knees much quicker then a guy can imagine.

I practice out to 100 every couple of weeks, but I have never killed anything over 35 yards with my bow. It's amazing how close you can get if you try and conditions are good.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

out and about in the thickets/maple ridge

I've taken coyotes out to roughly 60yds, practice out to 100 on an occasion, but all my "meat" kills have been within 10yds. i like to get close enough to touch them. all i use is my own homemade longbows, either selfbows or laminated. i shoot 700-900gr arrows tipped with 2 or 3 blade broadheads or trade points, screaming along at about 170fps. 60-80@30". the only real practice i do is in the woods stumpshooting at various distances and natural blind scenarios, other than form work and bow/arrow tuning when i make new bow, arrows, or string. all about confidence. though, I've seen a few guys shooting at game far beyond their limits. and they knew it too.

42 yds my longest shot. 8 yds my closest. I've blown more then I would care to admit that we're under 30 cause I just wanted to get one step closer....

This post could be a thread -- distance percentage in Missing or Wounded .
    20 -25 yards = ? wound or miss,
    25 -30 yards = ? wound or miss,
    30 -35 yards = ? wound or miss,
    60 -65 yards = ? wound or miss,
    80 -85 yards = ? wound or miss ,

The point is the (I assume ) the accelerated rate of misses and wounding for distance increases is with some accepted . One hears of these long distance hero launches and the so called perfect pass thru`s , but no mention of their misses or wounding .
    The long distant advocates should be aware of several factors , one of which is flight time of their arrows . Wild game by nature is always a step away in their feeding program . That step can result in a critical ( not recovered) wound that no one can forsee .
    Like some have posted , practice long ( lots of good reasons for this ) but responsibility in recoqnizing your true limitations with equipment and animal behaviour .
    Cheers and no draws again.....

PS: This post is not preceded with high kill claims . LOL .....
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

I agree with what many others have said on here - practice far, hunt close. I've competed beyond 60 yards many times (900 rounds, etc) but the farthest I've shot at a deer is 35 yards, with my average hunting shot being about 25 yards. Found out on the 3D course today why 40+ yards on an animal is probably a bad idea for me.