Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunters rescued near Toad River

Re: Hunters rescued near Toad River

Quote Originally Posted by ncurrie View Post
    Yeah but Mr. Duallie is perfect remember and he doesn't make any mistakes. So even if he had broken his foot, he wouldn't have got lost.

I am so glad that everything worked out for them. I bought a SPOT for my husband when he is out sledding, i am now going to buy one for me for when I go out.
    I don't know if you know it or not but the SPOT can be used by anyone. You can use your husbands when you are out and set up a set of messages for yourself. Of course, if you're both out you will need two.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

I don't understand why 'help' messages went out at two different locations quite short of the final 'call 911' location - where his foot was broken and he could not come back...

And a 'Spot' is useless if you don't know how to use it and have someone monitoring the messages and knowing what to do. Practice with it if you buy one and carry extra batteries.
    Last edited by guntech; 10-17-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    I don't understand why 'help' messages went out at two different locations quite short of the final 'call 911' location - where his foot was broken and he could not come back...

And a 'Spot' is useless if you don't know how to use it and have someone monitoring the messages and knowing what to do. Practice with it if you buy one and carry extra batteries.
    Seems as though they used the "help" function (which only goes to those on the contact list designated by the user) and then decided to hit the 911 (which goes to the SPOT network, who in turn contact and aid in dispatching emergency services).

And a SPOT is only useless if it isn't active and you don't know how to hit the 911 button: you don't need to ever use the tracking, or "OK" or "custom message" or "Help" features. If the sh*t hits the fan, hit 911 and SAR gets the precise coordinates of where your SPOT transmitted, which will cut down their grid search time immensely.

It seems that there are those who are "offended" by the idea of the SPOT and that it is something only greenhorns would use. That is pretty f*cking dumb.

You definitely need to figure out how to use a Spot beforehand. Great machines, they bring my family peace of mind.
    Tom

Glad it worked out for the injured hunters. And yes, like any other life saving equipment, the SPOT is only of use if you know how to use it. Like someonone said above, at under $150 to buy and $12 a month for service, a very small price to pay to have a 24/7 life line.

I got mine several years ago, and I primarily backpack hunted the east koots alone.

I do have the tracking feature on mine. When I'm backpacking into areas or hunting very remote country, my wife can see what route I took and where I have stopped. If I see something or decide to change my route for whatever reason, she knows and can see that I am moving and ok. She also knows that if the trackmode indicates the same position for a day and she doesn't recive an OK message for me that evening, something is wrong. And if something very unfortunate happened, they would know where to send a recovery team. I too send an ok message every night, usually while water is boiling for supper. The custom message that I added if I have to use the help button is " I'm OK, but am going to be late". I mostly use this when hunting local areas where there is no cell service. My wife knows this means I either have a mechanical issue that keeps me from getting home, or have an animal down and I will be late. In either case, she knows's I'm ok.

As for batteries, I put new lithium batteries in my SPOT before we left on our recent 15 day hunt. My spot was probably on 10 hours a day on track mode, and sent ok messages daily. Never had to change the batteries.

I guess the SPOT is like a seat belt. Chances are you may never even need one but the day you get in a wreck, you be glad you were wearing it.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-17-2012 at 10:26 AM.

why are all the threads on the hunter at pink mt. getting shot closed?
    are we not allowed to discuss it or something?

hmmm if I may..

yes the SPOT system works.

as has been said "HELP" sends the message to your selected reciepients...

the SOS is different and goes first to the SPOT HQ and then to the selected contacts and also the needed rescue..S&R , Paramedics , coastguard etc depending on the location..

couple of points Keep the unit on your person..as I found out @ Spences Bridge when my SPOT sailed out of sight being in my dry box on the quad..now its in my pocket always .

sending HELP..SOS.. CHECK in also sends a map or/and a sattalight photo of your position pretty damn accurate..some messages I have sent show the evergreen Im sitting behind...

I have used the tracking message and IF something sudden and unsespected happens your last position would be known pretty accurate..as you might not be able to press any buttons..ie grizz or collapse etc..

However if 2 members one would always be able to send SOS help buttons.... regardless of who is hurt.

they did everything well, the unit/system worked as designed and they were helped..

any questions??

steven Rupp

SPOT REP CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    why are all the threads on the hunter at pink mt. getting shot closed?
    are we not allowed to discuss it or something?
    How many threads do you need on the same subject......and WHY are you asking in this thread???

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy View Post
    How many threads do you need on the same subject......and WHY are you asking in this thread???
    because i can't ask in a locked thread.
    i only see two threads on it and they are both locked.
    why not merge them instead of locking them?

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    because i can't ask in a locked thread.
    i only see two threads on it and they are both locked.
    why not merge them instead of locking them?
    Why not merge them? What is the point....shut it down and then it's less work for the mods to HAVE to merge them.

Here is an open one (and the orignal one).....7 pages of discussion for you to grace with your prescence.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Shot-by-Hunter