Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best GPS App for iPhone?

Re: Best GPS App for iPhone?

Does Canada Maps have an aerial or Google Earth type view as well?

I use OSMAnd+. Let's you download areas for offline use, with optional topo lines as well. It uses OpenStreetMap data, which I enjoy constantly updating with new roads and trails when out with the GPS.

Started using Avena Maps this year. ITs free and has a lot of great features. Only used my Garmin Rhino for a couple check ins when out of cell coverage. All the mapping detail was with Avenza. Great app
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

[QI ppUOTE=Big Beard;2117969]I’ve heard a lot of guys are using their iPhones as their GPS with an app. I’ve been trying to search out which app is the best for our backcountry usage. Is anyone running an app instead of a Garmin? If so which one are you using? From what I understand the major pro to the apps is way more user friendly than the Garmins, if anyone has any comments about that I would be very interested.

Thanks,

Big Beard[/QUOTE]

I have used ihunter for years on my android phone.It has sat map with all my way points .It tracks and measures as well as many other things.

I use Ihunter too.

It's like google earth and shows exactly where you are. One of the Best 7$ I ever spent.

I am trying out Gaia this year. So far so good. You can overlay satellite with BRMB which is awesome. Download the area you are going to for offline use and have at it.

For a backup I have a inreach mini with the earthmate app.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    I use Ihunter too.

It's like google earth and shows exactly where you are. One of the Best 7$ I ever spent.
    Good to know! you used to be able to use google earth and just zoom in on an area and as long as you didn't close the app it would work offline. you would come up as a little blue dot on the screen and ti was really handy! Does not work anymore with google earth.
    So Ihunter lets you this eh? If so I will definitely buy it
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

+1 hunt buddy, +1 Canada maps

I also use onX (free) for the measurement tool between waypoints (haven’t figured how to do this with hunt buddy... but I think you can do this with Canada Maps...
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

IHunter over hunt buddy. I have both but use iHunter to see private lands.
    Fatmaps is by far the best 3D satellite imagery out there. It shows aspect, mountain shadows, trails, avalanche, gradient and elevation.

Was just out the other day, and hunt buddy doesn’t have private lands and I can’t add the private lands map they have on their website... someone I was with had ibunter and he could see the private lands it was helpful