Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What have I done?

What have I done?

So the wheels have treated me well the last couple years but I've officially picked up a strugglestick. 2 weeks ago I had zero interest in shooting trad but I stopped by my friend Tony's last weekend and he got to showing me some bows he was working on, put some arrows through this one and it sold itself. 68", 43# made from black locust, yew, eastern maple, bamboo, zebra wood and tigerwood if memory serves me correctly. Looks nice but she's a shooter too, can't wait to take her on her first hike and show her all my secret places!

Plus the wood grain even matches my pack just in case there's some sort of fashion show going on in the high country.

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What have I done?

awesome should be a lot of fun.

The wood grain is cool. Nice beard btw

I was more drawn to your beard aswel. Cool bow but it don’t have sights so I’m out.

I take it that's the chap who got Vlads old forms then?

If it is, nice, capable bows, the our man from Osoyoos has won almost everything with one, I had one for a while and I enjoyed it, a little slow but stable.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    I was more drawn to your beard aswel. Cool bow but it don't have sights so I'm out.
    Glad you guys like the beard. That's exactly how I felt a couple weeks ago, it's impressive how accurately you can use your arrow tip as a sight though, it's like having a single pin that doesn't slide...there are aiming methods that essentially make it a slider as well. They're definitely the outliers but there are guys shooting stickbows aiming point on and keeping up with wheel bows at 40 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by OutsyderBC View Post
    I take it that's the chap who got Vlads old forms then?

If it is, nice, capable bows, the our man from Osoyoos has won almost everything with one, I had one for a while and I enjoyed it, a little slow but stable.

Enjoy.
    Yes, Tony is "the new Vlad." The bow is most definitely more capable than me at this point and I'm sure it will be for a loooong while, I look forward to gaining more confidence with it and eventually getting some blood on it!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

You definitely can get accurate in the single string game.

Lots of range time and an open mind. Stay away from the "trad" nazis/tradpolice, they're the worst of mankind (in fact, never use the term "trad"!) Learn to aim, stay away from "instinctive" archers (Just like Howard Hill, I have never met a good one) good archers are usually at shoots and not so much on Youtube, walk before you can run. Get a coach/mentor, only shoot wooden arrows if you really want to, don't get pushed into it because a salty old guy says you're not "traditional" if you don't. That will help you on your way!

Also, giving wheelie bow shooters a hard time is just for fun, you can do it, but don't really mean it - see above on the "trad police"

Nice bow.....I shoot traditional, 55# draw....I'm 20 yards or less for game....

Quote Originally Posted by OutsyderBC View Post
    You definitely can get accurate in the single string game.

Lots of range time and an open mind. Stay away from the "trad" nazis/tradpolice, they're the worst of mankind (in fact, never use the term "trad"!) Learn to aim, stay away from "instinctive" archers (Just like Howard Hill, I have never met a good one) good archers are usually at shoots and not so much on Youtube, walk before you can run. Get a coach/mentor, only shoot wooden arrows if you really want to, don't get pushed into it because a salty old guy says you're not "traditional" if you don't. That will help you on your way!

Also, giving wheelie bow shooters a hard time is just for fun, you can do it, but don't really mean it - see above on the "trad police"
    Haha don't worry, I intend to buck all the "trad" trends, starting with actually killing something (just kidding, the razzing goes both ways and for now I'm still on team wheels...we'll see how long that lasts though)

I did order the cheesy wood grain carbon arrows and just might fletch them with turkey feathers but I am curious about the new AAE trad vanes as well. I've been gap shooting with decent consistency but think a fixed crawl would be more applicable for stickbow hunting so I'll have to experiment with that.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Nice bow.....I shoot traditional, 55# draw....I'm 20 yards or less for game....
    Thanks man! What's your arrow setup with that bow?

Should be a forgiving bow at 68", heard real mixed views on the trad vanes, but haven't tried them yet.

Don't discount instinctive without giving a try. I've always thought it was the best style for hunting just because I don't have think about gaps or trying set my fingers if the animal is moving away or towards, worth a try.

Cheers