Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

Re: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

I would drop into the sitting position, then nail him right in the centre of the chest. If it did not go directly down, I would immediately smack him in the first vital area that presented itself. It would be a done deal at 200 yards.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

[QUOTE=j270wsm;2008250]Sounds like the worst advice and a lot of wasted meat[/QUOTE Its a joke!I wouldn't take the shot

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    The second half is not good advice at all.
    Again its a joke.No I wouldn't take the shot haha

Not ideal, but if heavy bush either side of him it might be your only shot. Not the time for an "off hand, heart pounding shot". You need a rest of some kind.
    If he stepped out into a clearing and I was able to get into a resting position with cross hairs on him I'd try to wait him out. He might keep coming your way or if he decides to turn and you're on him you should get a good lung shot into him. As we know things happen fast and we often don't get a second chance.

I'd wait for at least a quartering shot....i don't want a bullet in the guts or hinds and I'm not the desperate type.

Frontal works well on elk I can't see why a moose would shrug it off.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

In 40 years have done it three times, two at roughly 100 yards, third at 300+. Know your rifle and it is an easy, ethical shot, as good as the boiler room.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaseman View Post
    In 40 years have done it three times, two at roughly 100 yards, third at 300+. Know your rifle and it is an easy, ethical shot, as good as the boiler room.
    Hmmmm just remember Mike not to turn your back on a " dead down bull moose "..lol..the look on your face priceless..
    Have a good day Buddy.
    Cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmmm just remember Mike not to turn your back on a " dead down bull moose "..lol..the look on your face priceless..
    Have a good day Buddy.
    Cheers
    Steven
    Got to bring that one up eh buddy!!

Shot a bull moose offhand one time at about 75 yards just before dark about a mile away from camp. Certainly not ideal timing but ... Figured I would save some meat and shoot him in the noggin’. First shot gave him a nosebleed so continued with 4 more solid shots in the cranium from a 7Mag. When I walked over he was stone dead, not even a convulsion. Learned my lesson ... better off in the boiler room. Did luck out though as I had just fired the last shot when my bud hollered out from the bush who just happened to be close by so gutting was quick and easy. Saved my bacon ... again.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is far better to ask for forgiveness than permission.