Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunters for BC

Re: Hunters for BC

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Rob, like I've mentioned before - I can throw my support behind anyone who truly has wildlife as their motivation and I do commend you guys on stepping up to the plate when 98% of hunters are extremely apathetic.

Your organization may not have put out any of those petitions but several of the members on your board have a couple have openly stated on FB numerous times that their reason for getting this group up and running was to put an end to several seasons.

It's hard to ignore that.
    ^^ If this is true and not what this new organization stands for a reconsideration of leadership might be in order

I hate to say it Rob but even with good intentions you maybe screwed with the reputation some of your team is creating.

Dave Ryder is a moderator.
    not a board member.
    people can choose freely what they stand for. Just like on this site. Many don’t see things the same way. Probably the single biggest downfall of hunters.
    seeing and understanding wildlife issues is very important. I’m assuming you must be regarding the petition about whitetail? That petition has been made available everywhere, not originated from the working group. There’s 80,000 armchair biologists in BC. I highly doubt the effectiveness of a change .org petition. I’m quite sure some of the people you all have issues with are able to be contacted so contact them. Simple. Holding me accountable for the personal actions of others is ridiculous. I’ve watched 30 years of mismanagement of the land, water and wildlife in this province with zero accountability but some of you sure find it easy to single out 1 person that I have zero control over. Interesting to say the least. There are 3 directors currently, we will need more. Maybe some of you? Complaining on a forum is much easier than actually doing something. One gets nothing done at all, the other is an effort to right the wrongs. So for those that are happy with what they see out there feel free to continue along the dead end road and I hope I’m not responsible for your actions too.

Rob, like I've mentioned before - I can throw my support behind anyone who truly has wildlife as their motivation and I do commend you guys on stepping up to the plate when 98% of hunters are extremely apathetic.

Your organization may not have put out any of those petitions but several of the members on your board have and a couple have openly stated on FB numerous times that their reason for getting this group up and running was to put an end to several seasons.

It's hard to ignore that.
    This is exactly what has me so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    Dave Ryder is a moderator.
    not a board member.
    people can choose freely what they stand for. Just like on this site. Many don’t see things the same way. Probably the single biggest downfall of hunters.
    seeing and understanding wildlife issues is very important. I’m assuming you must be regarding the petition about whitetail? That petition has been made available everywhere, not originated from the working group. There’s 80,000 armchair biologists in BC. I highly doubt the effectiveness of a change .org petition. I’m quite sure some of the people you all have issues with are able to be contacted so contact them. Simple. Holding me accountable for the personal actions of others is ridiculous. I’ve watched 30 years of mismanagement of the land, water and wildlife in this province with zero accountability but some of you sure find it easy to single out 1 person that I have zero control over. Interesting to say the least. There are 3 directors currently, we will need more. Maybe some of you? Complaining on a forum is much easier than actually doing something. One gets nothing done at all, the other is an effort to right the wrongs. So for those that are happy with what they see out there feel free to continue along the dead end road and I hope I’m not responsible for your actions too.

A simple way to clear everything up is to just say whether this group is for or against more cuts to hunting seasons. No one is singling you out, people rightfully have questions because once again, people on that list you provided have very clearly stated what they want to see happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    A simple way to clear everything up is to just say whether this group is for or against more cuts to hunting seasons. No one is singling you out, people rightfully have questions because once again, people on that list you provided have very clearly stated what they want to see happen.
    great question. Why not just ask it instead of chipping away at people I cannot answer for.
    before you all slaughter me. Take a minute to really understand the word conservation. Not just use it wherever it makes us happy.

opportunity is the most used and abused word in bc hunting today. People hide behind it like an invisible shield! Wait! What! I was promised opportunities! Haha!!
    To me opportunity is not climbing a mountain with a gun and tag that has zero game... that’s just going for a walk with a gun. I feel opportunity is earned, not taken for granted.
    A sound and viable management plan ensures healthy populations of big game. Healthy populations ensure hunter opportunities. Conservation must be considered throughout this process. If a species or multiple species reach populations low enough to warrant a closure, season cut back, bag limit reduction.... how can I believe in conservation and deny those restrictions. It’s impossible. Keeping the pedal to the metal on harvesting rapidly declining or low populations does not make sense in the name of conservation. Of course we can all recognize and appreciate the reasons for so many declines, but pointing fingers does not put the animals back on the mountain. We are all running in circles chasing the same parked cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    great question. Why not just ask it instead of chipping away at people I cannot answer for.
    before you all slaughter me. Take a minute to really understand the word conservation. Not just use it wherever it makes us happy.

opportunity is the most used and abused word in bc hunting today. People hide behind it like an invisible shield! Wait! What! I was promised opportunities! Haha!!
    To me opportunity is not climbing a mountain with a gun and tag that has zero game... that’s just going for a walk with a gun. I feel opportunity is earned, not taken for granted.
    A sound and viable management plan ensures healthy populations of big game. Healthy populations ensure hunter opportunities. Conservation must be considered throughout this process. If a species or multiple species reach populations low enough to warrant a closure, season cut back, bag limit reduction.... how can I believe in conservation and deny those restrictions. It’s impossible. Keeping the pedal to the metal on harvesting rapidly declining or low populations does not make sense in the name of conservation. Of course we can all recognize and appreciate the reasons for so many declines, but pointing fingers does not put the animals back on the mountain. We are all running in circles chasing the same parked cars.
    Well said, Robin. Thanks.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Hey Rob thanks for the names, but there is nothing beside them as in biology degree, Bsc, environmental engineering etc, or any kind of education other than being an equipment operator. I don't think i am into supporting a group that seems to be tied to guiding either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Wild Sheep Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    probably the most respected in BC
    This is what my interactions with those individuals has been like as well. Judging by the amateurish petitions they've been passing around, their main reason for starting this group seems to be centred around the whitetail antlerless and October any buck seasons. Thanks, but no thanks.

Groups like WSSBC and 1Campfire will continue to have my support.
    Here’s a question:
    Piperdown made the statement that he won’t be supporting a group tied to guiding.
    How much clout would the WSSBC have if the guiding industry dried up?
    Theres a lot of funding directed to this province for wildlife projects from groups like SCI and the WSF.
    Do you think BC would still see the international cash support we have rolling in now if those non resident guided hunters could not hunt here?

Well said Rob. Who the hell wants to shoot all the does.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Here’s a question:
    Piperdown made the statement that he won’t be supporting a group tied to guiding.
    Theres a lot of funding directed to this province for wildlife projects from groups like SCI and the WSF.
    Do you think BC would still see the international cash support we have rolling in now if those non resident guided hunters could not hunt here?
    i don’t see the need to alienate ourselves from the guiding industry. I guided for 8 years and was some of the best years of my life. I can truthfully say hunting in a well managed guiding area is some of the best hunting in bc. Hunting generates close to 400 million dollars per year and employs 2000 plus people. The guiding industry plays a huge part in these numbers. Numbers the government cannot dispute. We will all need to work hard to improve hunter image and the guiding industry is no exception. Piperdown is entitled to his decision. As we all are. We do need to be accountable for our actions and decisions....then we can surely hold the government responsible for theirs. The WSSBC does amazing work and I fully support their efforts. They do need our help and support plus our work to help the rest of BC’s wildlife from grouse to moose.
    I sure don’t want to preach to the choir. There’s not 1 solution to our problems so we will have to address them one at a time and stay focused.
    I thank everyone for their comments and i will take the good with the bad. It’s part of it.
    Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Here’s a question:
    I understand the "clout" (more political than financial) that outfitters bring. And yes, definitely a big grain of sand on the scale.
    So, you know i have helped on the guiding front and this is what I saw.
    Hunter flies in on his private jet (great guy and a total piece of work)
    Hunter is taken to camp.
    Hunter kills.
    Hunter flies out hrs after the kill.
    Economic impact outside of guide fees...... next to zero.

Hunter put his pilots up in a hotel.
    Hunter fueled his plane up here.
    Took the hunter out for dinner...he paid.

So when someone states the impact of a hunt that someone paid 10's of thousands of dollars for as an economic driver......not reality.
    That is a cloudy leverage statement at best.

Less than 5% of that hunt went into the local/provincial economy.
    95+% went into the outfitter.
    Do not sell economic impact as that is easily debunked.

Outfitters are an important part of hunting and its future here in BC due to their political leverage and contributions to protect their business model.
    They are a key component, agreed.

Outfitters have political clout, that I fully understand.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea