Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Point Bull Elk

Re: Five Point Bull Elk

Quote Originally Posted by OutWest View Post
    What exactly is he not even close on? His info is accurate.
    1) he makes the case that the only difference between today and 30 years ago is the number of hunters
    2) he believes going back to regulations of 30 years ago would meet current objectives
    3) he proposes regulations of 30 years ago would be sustainable

The only accurate statement is the number of hunters. The demographics of the hunter is changing, wildlife management objectives are changing, the influence of First Nations is changing, and the approaches are different in today's world, our habitat, access, hunting styles game calls optics and weapons are much more in favour of the hunter, predator populations influence are all different and I don't see where he is considering any of it.

Look at the elk seasons in region 4 vs those in region 8.

My wish list...

Habitat enhancement.
    All season any bull archery seasons.
    Habitat enhancement.
    Vehicle/Road restrictions.
    Habitat enhancement.
    Time of day quad restrictions. (No ATVs before 9am and from 4pm till dark)
    Habitat enhancement.
    $10 per head bounty on wolves
    Habitat enhancement
    $1000 per head bounty on poachers

And FD here are my links... http://www.beyondbakedbeans.org/custom/L1010087.JPG And here are yours... http://eyebeam.org/sites/default/fil...s/sausage.jpeg LOL J/K LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Has the '6 point ' only rule reduced the number of bulls that will ever reach 6 points by taking them out of the genetic pool leaving 5 point Bulls to breed which will never have 6 points?
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 09-28-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ellenbill View Post
    Not likely. In my 60 years of very successful elk hunting I have only ever seen about 3 4points. They go from 3points to 5's,4' are rare. Therefore I doubt you would find many dead 4 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Has the '6 point ' only rule reduced the number of bulls that will ever reach 6 points by taking them out of the genetic pool leaving 5 point Bulls to breed which will never have 6 points?
    No still lots of 6 points around to do the breeding.. JT knows what he is talking about

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    My wish list...

Habitat enhancement.
    All season any bull archery seasons.
    Habitat enhancement.
    Vehicle/Road restrictions.
    Habitat enhancement.
    Time of day quad restrictions. (No ATVs before 9am and from 4pm till dark)
    Habitat enhancement.
    $10 per head bounty on wolves
    Habitat enhancement
    $1000 per head bounty on poachers

And FD here are my links... http://www.beyondbakedbeans.org/custom/L1010087.JPG And here are yours... http://eyebeam.org/sites/default/fil...s/sausage.jpeg LOL J/K LOL
    I like your wish list but would put a bigger bounty on wolves & poachers

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Wouldn't it then make sense to go the route that other regions are? Implement an any bull archery season, distribute archery hunting to include an archery antlerless season, implement a GOS spike season, and increase LEH for antlerless, including opportunities for youth/senior. Would this not result in hunting and harvest across all age classes?
    That makes way to much sense

What's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander! Bow hunter paradise?

Quote Originally Posted by ellenbill View Post
    What's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander! Bow hunter paradise?
    Not talking about a bowhunters paradise. Talking about appropriate harvest levels for sustainable participation. Time to see it for more than just user groups. There are tons of bowhunters/rifle hunters and on this site is a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Husky,

do you mean to tell me that they have a 3 pts season and it hasn't destroyed the elk population?

my goodness. Now I've heard it all.
    No, but they try their damnedest!!!! My guess is to appease farmers, tons of ag land, the only thing they want to manage in northern alberta is to keep the elk numbers down.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    No, but they try their damnedest!!!! My guess is to appease farmers, tons of ag land, the only thing they want to manage in northern alberta is to keep the elk numbers down.
    They manage elk numbers through a 3 pts restriction? They don't have antlerless hunting?
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela