Page 20 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Re: Lots Of Wolf Talk eh ?

Charlie horse, cyber toad is trapping wolves 2 region right on the border of 3–32 And we just got permission to trap 3- 31 on two different ranches

^ right on.

This is such a positive thread way to go Hunters and Trappers this is how we get shit done thanks to HBC for providing the platform....

Quote Originally Posted by trapman View Post
    Steve well done, I feel this thread has brought together more hunters on this site then any thread before. People are actually doing something ,they have all found a cause to be passionate about. The support coming my way is unreal i. I have received EMTs, cash, gas cards, Timmys cards and even an invitation for dinner at an older fellow‘s house next time I am in Kamloops. Steve I believe people are attracted to your no bullshit reasoning on why we have this problem. It is exactly what we needed for a long time. Just a little note to those who have supported my will drop in here is what I am doing with what I received. We have obtained permission to trap wolves in region eight and in region five. I have secured another supply I’ve up to 400 pounds of bsit per week . And Cybertoad and myself will hopefully be completing another 200 snares tonight. And oh yeah I gave $20 to my 13year-old son for helping heal bait to all the bait stations. After that he told his friends he was a professional Wolf trappper because he gets paid for what he does
    Its time !! overdue by years. Good thing about the internet is now we don't have to rely on anyone or wait. The amount of insanity I have directly witnessed when it comes to this topic and getting problems solved with various groups who SHOULD BE dealing with this #1 problem is mind boggling. I have zero patience now for anyone who is terrified of this topic and more concerned with 'how it looks'. I'll bite my lip on that note now.

Couple handy notes to who it may be of value.

1. BAITS
    In the past, due to where I live and access to road kill, my bait was very limited. I had to learn how to get the wolves with little or no bait. This involved following them, getting to know regular routes as opposed to random trails. This took time but eventually started to pay off and I killed a pile of them this way.
    LOADS of bait can work. Best time to create bait piles is immediately after bears den up. If you can, it can be beneficial for someone who does NOT SET TRAPS to drop baits for the trapper after a handful of wolves have been whacked. Wolves will smell the culprit who killed their members and register their scent as trouble. When the wolf killer drops more bait, the educated wolves will commonly not go near them due to the 'killer scent' factor. YES, they are this smart. I noted a pack or two doing this with me in the past. One large pile I maintained, the wolves would come down the road and the whole pack would lay down about 100 yards outside my nearest snare. Two wolves would circumnavigate the pile, go back, grab the pack and leave. they never went to the pile once. However, they told me where they felt safe and I zipped the two leaders on their safety trail the 3rd time they came to circle.

SMALL BAITS

A. I have numerous times wacked wolves with tiny amounts of baits as opposed to large. Young hardwood thickets or willow tangles best. Go to centre of tangle, hang a piece of deer hide, or a chunk of hide with buck gland on it ( all you need), set snares all around the outside of the thicket - done deal. Killed lots this way.

B. Hang a deer leg ( or what have you, even hide) in the the air at least 7 ft plus off the ground in the middle of a well known wolf travel route in timber, not the open or open timber, has to be somewhat thick. Scent particles will fall off 24/7 and the wind will take them out. Snare off any hole in a 50 yard circle and start around 15 yards away from hanging bait. I have video proof of what this does and it is very effective. Wolves do NOT look up for meat or kills - ever. The pack will slam on the brakes when they smell it and fan out trotting around in every direction trying to find it, zip, done deal and commonly numerous catches. This style baiting use is confusing to them, requires no re baiting and suckers them multiple times in the same place over a winter as they and other wolves travel through. It also eliminates having to walk into the 'bait pile' to re stock which lays your scent down.
    You can as well strategically set these snares so you can see all of them from a distance with binos away from the perimeter instead of 'going in' and leaving fresh scent often.
    C. Popular migration trails are obviously as well used by wolves. In mountainous regions or steep slopes the cold air drops almost 24/7 and ALWAYS drops at night. Knowing this, take a chunk of hide or a leg. etc, hang it on the high side of the main trail and around 20 yards minimum above the trail. draw a line horizontal between the bait and trail with snares set in holes/routes a wolf is likely to take up hill to check out where this scent is coming from - very effective. The scent particles will drool off the bait 24/7 and pile up in a line going down hill across the travel trail and further. I have had wolves hang an abrupt 90 degree turn 200 plus yards downhill from my hanging deer leg on a slope to come up and get zipped. Hanging well above the trail avoids possible ungulates being caught.

The most effective baits are always wild game first, domestic meat 2nd. Southern B.C. trapping, deer and moose is gold.

SHOOTING PACKS
    Now read carefully.

Sometimes when you get a chance at a wolf with a rifle, things can be going down fast. It is a rare occasion and excitement is tough to control. 'SOMETIMES', the first shot may not be a clean one for various reasons. 'At times' a wolf can be wounded and not die right away resulting in some vocals coming from the wolf. Some of these commonly misplaced shots are in the hips as an example.
    Regardless of 'where', the fact is that when a wounded wolf is making some vocals from his wound, the rest of the pack can NOT stop themselves from running away - ever. There can be 10 gun shots going off all around but as long as that pack member is making noise, the rest of the pack is going to come back to it ( in the open) EVERY - TIME , resulting in an entire pack getting cleaned up ( or most of them).

OK, I'll report in soon, let all know more. I am closer to being able to commit to this myself and if I do, I'll be unleashing my OCD on it ( as usual) and will trap as well hunt them FULL TIME from Squamish to well past Goldbridge and possibly other areas as they come up.

Good luck out there !!
    Last edited by proguide66; 01-11-2018 at 06:15 PM.

PS, ***TRAPPERS*** PLEASE make sure you take photos of EVERY PREDATOR you harvest, including incidental catches of felines. Make SURE you have a card with you ( maybe with your trap license) which says '2018' on it for the photo please ( piece of paper, what ev).

Good luck.

looking for who traps tr0330t010 region 3-30 Clinton loon lake!

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    325 Alerted me to this thread. I’ve read it over and agree with most of what has been said here, so I guess I’ll put my two bits worth on here too.

I trap in region 7-49 and 7-50 Killed over 40 wolves the last two years (most of those in 7-50) It has made a massive difference in the wolf sign Dad and I see over the summer when packing (Steamboat Mountain Outfitters)

I almost couldn’t trap this year, but the GO (same GO helped me get started with both $$ and teaching) said he would pitch in and that helped.

While I wish I didn’t need to ask for funding and could just trap for fun, that just isn’t a reality at the present.
    Before this post came up I had determined I probably couldn’t continue to trap wolves all at my own expense again next year and was trying to figure who and how to ask for support.
    For me the timing of this movement is perfect if people really do want this done (wolves killed).

Here's another one. Do you hunt in 7-49 and 7-50, or anywhere around it (wolves will go a long ways) 40 wolves in 2 years! Proven success, imagine the numbers with some assistance?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Here's another one. Do you hunt in 7-49 and 7-50, or anywhere around it (wolves will go a long ways) 40 wolves in 2 years! Proven success, imagine the numbers with some assistance?
    Yep. Tanner is the real deal. The closest thing to a genuine mountain man I’ve ever met. If he could afford it with our help, he could really be a powerful force for predator control in the north-east.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

guest Guest

Tanner is working a magnificent area for Moose, Sheep Elk, some Bou Goat and Bear. If your looking for a Packer, this is your guy! Heard great things since taking over from JB.

Ive been in his area a fair bit, used Steamboat a number of times, previous owner. Hope to hire Tanner one day, that would be cool.

keep it up Tanner and good on you. And THANKS !

As a trapper thank all of you who have supported me with the wolff trapping . As a hunter can someone send me Tanners email so I can send him so money to help him out . Love hunting in 7-50