Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Elk not calling.

Re: Elk not calling.

There is a podcast worth listening to regarding quiet elk, it is the Hunt Back Country Podcast and they had Paul Medel "the elk nut" on in mid august. He talks about the "slow play" on elk which is not the typical locator bugle, cow chirp and challenge bugle routine that is so often used. We tried that standard routine on a bull last year in region 4 and while he would bugle back he would not leave his cows. We managed to take him a few days later by ambushing him on his way to his bed but did not use calls. I don't know if the slow play that Paul Medel uses will work but it sounds great and we will try it next week. The Hunt Back Country podcast is free and you can find it in ITunes, it is a great resource.

Just came back from a day hunt, had 4 different bulls talking to me. Lots of bugle action. No luck on bringing them in. Going back out in the am

Hay bunner what region were u in???
    majorguns

Quote Originally Posted by KRM270 View Post
    There is a podcast worth listening to regarding quiet elk, it is the Hunt Back Country Podcast and they had Paul Medel "the elk nut" on in mid august. He talks about the "slow play" on elk which is not the typical locator bugle, cow chirp and challenge bugle routine that is so often used. We tried that standard routine on a bull last year in region 4 and while he would bugle back he would not leave his cows. We managed to take him a few days later by ambushing him on his way to his bed but did not use calls. I don't know if the slow play that Paul Medel uses will work but it sounds great and we will try it next week. The Hunt Back Country podcast is free and you can find it in ITunes, it is a great resource.
    My experience.....
    A herd bull with cows will not come in to you, regardless of cow calling or bugling of any type.
    The only time the calls have worked for me in this scenario, is being in "real close"!.
    Then, I have found a bull will come in "fast".
    Now, if I see the bull in close, I wouldn't give myself up, and use a call....just wait for the right time to shoot.
    But, if you can't spot him, but your right there, then yes, a cow call or bugle works.
    Just remember, the cows have eyes and ears as well.
    Most of the time it will be them that spot you first, especially the lead cow.
    She's the one that never seems to put her head down, and is always on alert.

is this podcast link:

https://exomountaingear.com/37/

After 3 or 4 days of cool wet weather the bulls in the ek are talking.. not much but more than the past few days
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Cough cough I think this thread is making me sick I may need to call in sick for work and go elk hunting early

So much truth! just because they are not vocal, don't mean they are not rutting. Find the sign , and still cow call. If the elk are near, the bulls ( especially smaller bulls) will come in, but silent as a mouse. Our group that I hunt with has shot many many elk like this over the last 15 years. Elk are creatures of survival and thrival. With that being said, I did have a few bulls come into my especially slutty cow calling and they lit up like the 4th of july lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Relying solely on 'calling' for elk makes your approach unidimensional.
    Mule deer don't call.
    WT don't scream.

Elk, when pressured can go silent.
    Learn how to hunt and find them without relying on sound and you will kill a lot more elk.
    After all, they are only 600 - 800 lbs, travel in groups, leave a lot of sign, require a lot of water and graze daily.

Hunt for what they need and u will learn to not rely on calling.
    Killed some nice bulls over the years that neither one of us made a peep

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Cough cough I think this thread is making me sick I may need to call in sick for work and go elk hunting early
    Cool weather....yup, I say you got a "bad virus"!
    Definitely when it gets cool after this length of heat, the hunting is usually good.
    Seems like every season, there is a quick cold snap for a couple of days, and that's when they hit the floor the most.
    That being said, I have yet to hit that time!, always happens a week before I go, or just as I am packing up!
    So get out there!

And yes, lots of times bulls come in silent, real silent, and I don't think many take the time to hang tight in an area long enough to see what others mean/experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Cool weather....yup, I say you got a "bad virus"!
    Definitely when it gets cool after this length of heat, the hunting is usually good.
    Seems like every season, there is a quick cold snap for a couple of days, and that's when they hit the floor the most.
    That being said, I have yet to hit that time!, always happens a week before I go, or just as I am packing up!
    So get out there!

And yes, lots of times bulls come in silent, real silent, and I don't think many take the time to hang tight in an area long enough to see what others mean/experienced.
    Call for snow this weekend has me thinking lol