Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retrieval advice

Re: Retrieval advice

Take a couple of rolls of TP when you go tracking, helps to avoid missing spots
    makes for good marking of the spots you check and can be left to degrade in the weather, unlike flagging tape.

When the area has more white than anythings else, it has been checked ! )
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

If you want to find the deer after a few days the " Ravens " will find it when it dies, if it dies --?
    At least you will know
    When you shoot at the deer, mark the place where your feet are -- so you can look back at the spot

If your brand new hunting - try hunting in snow, then you can see your own trail and the deers --
    Jel -- you will learn these things as you go --> --- Another thing! > Try to get a rest for your gun to aim steady on -- makes a world of a difference

I am on my way out towards West Harrison this morning. Thought I would poke around with the dog just in case you're out that way. If you pick up my p.m. call me.

Quote Originally Posted by suburbboy View Post
    elch jager, PM'd, thanks so much for the offer!

If my noise and search within an hour did affect this deer, how far does a hind quarter shot buck go before dying (if he dies)
    Really depends on where hit, how much damage and how much bleeding. Had a deflected shot in thicker bush once at fairly close range on a very big buck broadside. 175g partition. As it turned out, catastrophic damage to rear hip and socket rendering right rear leg completly disfunctional. Snow on ground and apparent rear leg was dragging somewhat and knew I likely had an issue....very little blood and only about 1/2hr of light left. Followed slowly for about 150yds down through thick benchy bush hoping to get a look for a second shot but very apparent he was still in flight mode so backed off hoping he would bed. Light also fading fast. Back at first light. As said very little blood, tiny spec every 20-30yds or so and tons of other tracks making tracking difficult. Without snow never would have found him. He bedded 3 times over night and kept moving inbetween rests. I finally caught up to him about 1.5km downhill in valley bottom. He was very much alive and jumped up head on at about 15m as I pushed thru thick regen. Things ended there and he had a massive body and rack. I was blown away at the amount of damage, lack of blood and how far he was able to go tho. Had completely stopped bleeding. Took me about 5hrs to track him that day with the snow. Like said never would have found him without it. If no vitals or main vessels they can go a long ways and more if pushed.

It is also amazing how well they can blend in where they fall especially in thick stuff with lots of shrubs or in a depression, etc. Another thing to consider is gut shot. It is very easy to shoot a few inches too far back from vitals especially when first starting out hunting. These will also go along ways with very little, if any blood at all.

Good luck with your search if you choose to have another look.
    Last edited by northof49; 10-28-2018 at 09:45 AM.

My dad always taught us to shoot until it drops. He was fine having a little-wasted meat instead of a wounded animal walking around. Even if the shot is perfect I am shooting again and especially if I think the shot is not perfect.

When I was archery hunting one year I shot a deer a little far back. He ran 60 yds then bedded down in some thick stuff. I could see him with my binos but not my naked eyes from my treestand. He laid there with his head up for over an hour. I wanted so bad to try and sneak in and finish him but there was zero chance of that with the bow. Then he put his head down and breathed his last kicking as he did so and pushing himself into a bit of a dip by a log. I got down to go retrieve him and it was amazing how well he was hidden. He would have been so hard to find if I wasn't able to watch it from my treestand. If I would have gone to look to early then he would have for sure ran away. Also, even when he was dead and I KNEW where to find him it was not easy.

You folks have given me some amazing advice, thanks so much. I've been taking notes of everything to really make sure I get every part of the process down.

As a newer hunter with no hunting family, there's no substitute for practice (esp for tracking, but all the other hunting skills too). I've been trying to learn as much as I can these past years. If anyone's ever going out and could use a hand, I'd love to learn. I'm a great camp chef, pretty confident with most of my outdoor skills, and hunting skills are something I've been trying hard at for a few years (although I've not gotten a buck so far). There's nothing like in-person learning though in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
    My dad always taught us to shoot until it drops. He was fine having a little-wasted meat instead of a wounded animal walking around. Even if the shot is perfect I am shooting again and especially if I think the shot is not perfect.
    This is sound advice. Always do the same and never stand there admiring the first shot especially with elk, moose, bear. Always a quick follow up thru the lungs unless they drop with first shot and stay down. Am never worried about an extra hole thru the ribs/lungs.

I have shot 2 follow up shots on a new hunter’s bear. Maybe not needed, but failing light and thick swamp close by. His shot was good, just no wish to track in the dark.

I always take a follow up shot if the opportunity is there....as for not finding a wounded animal, happens to everybody eventually...

"The thing is, I saw my buck cross the road, but I saw maybe a track maybe two on that side of the road and there weren't many points of entry into the bush, there, esp for a wounded deer. I have a feeling that buck travelled a distance."

a deer doesn't need a hole or point of entry

Planning on another tracking effort on your deer?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole