Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: elk hunt equipment

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

Re: elk hunt equipment

The nights are cold in September, be prepared with a good sleeping bag.

You could encounter anything in term of météo, snowstorm one year to full hot sunny days the next.

Rifle? as big as you can handle well.

Get in the best shape you can, you'll enjoy your trip rather than suffer it!

Don't hesitate to send me a PM, especially if you'll be more comfortable in French. Funny, I'm going moose hunting with my cousins in Québec this coming September!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman Chasse Quebec View Post
    For shooting distance what can we expect?
    Of the 2 dozen elk kills I've been around, average shot is around 50 yards
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Of the 2 dozen elk kills I've been around, average shot is around 50 yards
    Yep. I know a guy who brags about 500+ yard shots. He has taken one elk. but lots of shots. Asked me to go hunting with him but I had to wash the car that day. Mine have all been within 100 max. Mostly half that.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

In my very limited experience with elk both bulls I have had a chance at were under 50 yds. And they still had the upper hand.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Have hunted elk for years....never once needed a spotting scope. Just very good binos. Most kills under 30yds. Depends where and how you plan to hunt them. I always hunt the rut tho and pull them in. If heading into mountains on horseback might come in handy tho especially if looking for sheep/goats too.
    True...most of the time a scope is not needed.
    But, an example of why I have one...
    Saw 2 bulls, way up high at the top of a cutblock (not far from sub-alpine ....EK) with cows.
    We had gotten there late, and only had a couple of minutes to view them before they went into trellines for shade
    for the rest of day etc.
    With bino's we could see they were atleast big 5's....but no way could we tell if they were 6 pts.
    Had to wait til the last 10 minutes of shooting light (we hiked all the way up....way up and sit for 9hrs+).
    The one bull was a 6....barely....5x6.
    Could have easily wasted the day.....and the scope would have been handy that morning.
    But yes...most elk are taken and able to be judged in close.
    Also, you may find an old burn....way up...and it may have several groups of elk up there (if your lucky)....
    a scope is nice.....but not the most important item.

Quote Originally Posted by J-F View Post
    The nights are cold in September, be prepared with a good sleeping bag.

You could encounter anything in term of météo, snowstorm one year to full hot sunny days the next.

Rifle? as big as you can handle well.

Get in the best shape you can, you'll enjoy your trip rather than suffer it!

Don't hesitate to send me a PM, especially if you'll be more comfortable in French. Funny, I'm going moose hunting with my cousins in Québec this coming September!

Yup, a good bag is important....pay the extra money to get the best you can.
    Tried once to "pack light" for sheep hunt, by taking "lightweight/cheap bag".....worst trip ever!!!
    Synthetics with quadrotherm or similar fill is great....especially if they get wet...goose down is cozy...but hard to dry.