Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Canning Deer

Re: Canning Deer

wait till you try the duck and chicken.there will be no more from the store.
    rabbit is also excellent bottled for that matter i have not tried anything bottled that i did not like

ps and as buchaneer said we always put a little bit of salt pork in the bottles as well
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

My canning story. Dont get mad cause I think this is interesting and worth telling. In 1939 my grandpa was down cutting cedar poles with his cross cut saw and his team of horses. The team would go back to to house on their own to get unhooked. When my grama heard the bell she went out to unhook and the team and they went back into the bush. One day she heard the bell. There was a big bull elk being drug by the team. They were thankful for the meat as they were poor. She was pregnant and had two young kids. It was August. She had to can the whole bull in her outside kitchen within a couple days. Now thats alot of work without power.

After reading the Rouladen thread. I wonder what kind of snack canned Rouladen would be like. Still drooling from that

hmm I bet bear cubes would be nice for stew. I know entire communities that boil there jars for fish,deer, crab, clams. I wasnt aware of the danger without a pressure cooker.

I have to be honest. The best canned game meat I've ever had was a recipe that came from a newfie guy I worked with. I don't know what was in it but it was spectacular!!!!!!

Trapper D Guest

if your canning salmon with bones in add a tablespoon of vinager to soften the bones, i also add a little olive oil, so when its canned the extra oil in the jar keeps the salmon submerged in oil, which in many peoples belief makes it last forever

We can game meat every year. I use it on hunting and fishing trips as I don't travel with refrigeration. Load up a cooler with food to last awhile and when it goes I bring out the preserved goods. Fast, easy and quick meals in camp. Stews, spaghetti sauces, soups all work well. What I do is make an extra large meal and with the left overs preserve them. Lots of information on the internet and really quite simple, good and inexpensive.

as the ingredients cool the oil seals the top leaving no air between the food and the oil, and i also take it with me hunting ,fishing or just heading out with my boys for a boilup out in the bush.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

golly what an awesome thread, this got me fired up, I am going tomorow to buy a new pressure cooker, I have an old one with the twist on top that was Grammas which is great to make stews and sauce but sadly there is no gauge on it. Would love to see a few pics of what the cans look like whenb sealed up out of the cooker if anyone has any, Thanks again.
    "We solemly promise never to let down on quality, the customer is entitled to a square deal!"
    Markus 'Fred' Leupold

put a rib bone in each jar makes jelliton