Hybrid View

Re: Predator calling for bears

Are you using electric calls?

2. Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    Most will know but some won't that electronic calls are Taboo in BC. FYI

I've had good success calling bears out I didn't even know were there, and others come running like a race house, both towards me and away LOL
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post

I've had good success calling bears out I didn't even know were there, and others come running like a race house, both towards me and away LOL
    I understand that electric calls are illegal in BC for hunting purposes. That's why I posed the question. I have never thought of calling for bears. I find it very difficult to mimic predator calls.

Yep. I spend most of my bear hunting spotting, driving to another cut, spotting and repeat. If I dont find a bear while spotting, before moving on I always let out a call with my bear buster if its a huge area, or an whiny calf elk (primos ivory plate) call if a smaller area.

I started doing this for spring black bears after I acidentally got a Griz to stand up and reveal himself while blind calling up a slide for elk.

Ive since used a call many times and got a spring black bear that had remained out of sight to reveal himself in one way or another.

And dont forget to look behind you!!!!
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-21-2020 at 11:18 AM.

To quote the synopsis: "It is illegal: 34. To use recorded or electronic calls
    to hunt wildlife except Wolf, Coyote,
    Cougar, Lynx or bobcat or any bird listed
    in Schedule C
    (see “What is Wildlife?”
    Section)."
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Well I am fairly certain you can use electronic predator call in BC. Its unlawful to use them for anything other than Wolf, Coyote, Cougar, Lynx, Bobcat or any bird listed in Schedule C. So to say that electronic calls are banned is not true. Took that word for word from page 15 of the regulations.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
    Well I am fairly certain you can use electronic predator call in BC. Its unlawful to use them for anything other than Wolf, Coyote, Cougar, Lynx, Bobcat or any bird listed in Schedule C. So to say that electronic calls are banned is not true. Took that word for word from page 15 of the regulations.
    Your right, my reference was to bears, should have been more clear!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    No I’m using a old fashioned hand rabbit distress call. Looks like a doe bleat tube.
    Live to Hunt...

Looks exciting. Maybe not “chewin’ on your arm exciting” but who wants that again, right? Any idea how Grizz respond to the sounds of a bunny panic attack?
    Pretend hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    Looks exciting. Maybe not “chewin’ on your arm exciting” but who wants that again, right? Any idea how Grizz respond to the sounds of a bunny panic attack?
    I would say the exact same way as a black bear...they would come right in looking for a meal.
    Live to Hunt...