Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 615I Mountain Goat LEH Winter Access

615I Mountain Goat LEH Winter Access

I'm planning a winter goat hunt at the end of Feb in 615-I, northwest of Terrace. Not looking for spots just looking for local knowledge on access to the west of Kitsumkalum Lake. Looking at imagery I can see a few old blocks and roads on the east of the lake but I can't tell if anything is recent. Anyone ever done this hunt before in Feb? Or any locals know if they're harvesting out that way and have some roads plowed?

Thanks in advance and maybe a case of beer on our way through Terrace...
    Last edited by JSaw; 01-20-2020 at 02:57 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 615I Mountain Goat LEH Winter Access

Zero logging going on in that area. Nothing will be plowed. There is a pile of snow this year.

Thanks. Do you know if they plow to the Northern Escape Heli Ski lodge? If it is where google says it is....

Northern escape flys in guest and employees to the lodge. Going to be tough access into that zone right now. Over 200cm of snow in town since Jan 1 and more out that way.

What everyone else has said....I will add that I flew over the West Kalum today and there are many trees now across the road due to all the recent snow...so that will add to your adventure. Good luck with your hunt!
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Well hopefully the snow thats coming covers those trees up for us... haha. Thanks for the info guys. PM me about beers

Let’s bump this a tad. I’m tagged out but would be accompanying JSaw.
    Obviously it’s weather dependent but is it unrealistic to think we’ll be able to stay on top of the snow with good snow shoes at this time of year?Or relatively close to the top lol. What about crossing smallish rivers; are they typically frozen well enough to cross?

Quote Originally Posted by Kopper View Post
    Let’s bump this a tad. I’m tagged out but would be accompanying JSaw.
    Obviously it’s weather dependent but is it unrealistic to think we’ll be able to stay on top of the snow with good snow shoes at this time of year?Or relatively close to the top lol. What about crossing smallish rivers; are they typically frozen well enough to cross?
    Flew over again today....you will need a sled. There is rain in the forecast now, the recent snow is settling quickly. Depending on your timing, it will freeze at some point making travel a lot quicker....Honestly guys, Ma Nature should dictate your planning....so watch the weather. If you just plan on showing up, then you will simply play the card that is dealt to you but if you are flexible, the difference in travel can be night and day. It certainly won't be easy no matter how you do this hunt as access is so restricted but if you plan it well and are well prepared, it will be a fun adventure
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

these guys can help with road info

www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/local-road-safety-information/skeena-stikine-natural-resource-district-road-safety-information
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    these guys can help with road info

www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/local-road-safety-information/skeena-stikine-natural-resource-district-road-safety-information
    The West Kalum FSR is in the Coast Mtns District not Skeena Stikine. It is definitely not plowed. You are looking at around 20+ km off unplowed road before you reach your area. Crossing Kalum Lk or river in a boat may be an option but you will still be a ways away from where the goats are. Avalanche123 has good advice in his comment. I am not sure if snowmobiles are allowed in this area as I don't have the regs open in front of me.