Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Re: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    When you buy your Sony radio and read that they recommend only Sony AA batteries, do you follow that?
    You should if it makes you sleep better.
    Lol X2. ...

Interesting subject. I put a Lilja barrel on my Remington 700 a couple of years ago, and followed the break in procedure to the finest detail. I had previously read alot on Liljas site about this topic, and what this procedure was trying to achieve. Lilja recommends using Butches Bore Shine and all the proper cleaning equipment(good cleaning rod, bore guide, bronze brushes, etc..) I noticed that after about 30 to forty rounds, the barrel became very easy to clean, compared to when I first started the procedure. Very minimal fouling, and very easy to clean. No need for wipeout. Some have suggested it is a waste of money and time, breaking in a rifle barrel. I guess I would have to disagree. Barrel makers don't recommend break in because they benefit from selling you ammuntion and cleaning products. Most have some involvement in shooting sports such as bench rest, and have probably done lots of R&D regarding break in, and have found it has relevance. Remember, they want their product to deliver great preformance for the end user.

X3... You will never wear a barrel out in your life time. Clean it, Shoot it, Site it in, And go hunting.

When you buy your Sony radio and read that they recommend only Sony AA batteries, do you follow that?
    How are batteries used in a product even close to being on the same wave length as barrel break in procedures? Do you put 20w50 oil in your truck engine when it recomends 0w20? Or what the hell why change your oil at all its not important?!! Breaking it in properly wont hurt it but not doing it might so why risk it.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 02-08-2016 at 12:52 PM.

It's a poor analogy.

Those unable to take a deer with a rifle should be armed with Sony radios and Bieber one to death. Anything over 100 yards requires CBC.
    Last edited by Daybreak; 02-08-2016 at 01:31 PM.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Can't know how many times I've seen this debate on various forums over the years, but it'd be staggering. Debaters range from Joe Bloe to guys like John Barness and everyone in between. The two constants that always surface are:
    1)Break ins "can" reduce the amount/time of cleaning over the life of the barrel, nothing more.
    2) There is more potential for harm from excessive cleaning than simply shooting, assuming you avoid excessively over heating the barrel.

With products like Wipe Out, I'll greedily opt to shoot over clean, until groups open up.

I agree poor cleaning practices can damage a gun more so then shooting it. If you dont think barrel break in is important then a bore guide wouldnt be high on the priority list lol.

Proofs always in the pudding and I've yet to see a "Broke-in" barrel outshoot or outlast a clean and shoot barrel.

And to the "Automobile is the same as a rifle" crowd. When NOT changing your engine oil makes no difference to engine life, rest assured I'll stop changing it......

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    It's a poor analogy.

Those unable to take a deer with a rifle should be armed with Sony radios and Bieber one to death. Anything over 100 yards requires CBC.
    If it's a poor analogy, then you follow the instructions and you will sleep better.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    How are batteries used in a product even close to being on the same wave length as barrel break in procedures? Do you put 20w50 oil in your truck engine when it recomends 0w20? Or what the hell why change your oil at all its not important?!! Breaking it in properly wont hurt it but not doing it might so why risk it.

Next time I buy a new rifle, I will write on the first 10 bullets, "Break in" so that the rifle knows that these bullets are for the purposes of "breaking in".
    It won't confuse them with shooting bullets for the purposes of fun, or hunting.
    I wonder where all army barrels get broken in.

The best thing you can do for your rifle when you buy it is to just de-grease it well and before shooting it clean the barrel and make sure there are no obstructions. Make sure it's not exposed to condensation and moisture and sudden temperature changes and it will serve you well.

These things take 150 grains of lead at high speeds, do you think they are sensitive if they are not broken in?

I bet you break-in procedures were probably started by some high end gun maker to mess with people.
    It's all part of the "mystique" and the "allure" of a high end barrel.
    And the more you stroke the action the smoother it gets.

There is any easy way to keep us both happy.
    You break in your rifles and I will clean mine whenever I feel that the accuracy is off.

That's all I've got to say about that.
    Last edited by adriaticum; 02-08-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach