Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk cape lost in care of taxidermist, now what?

Elk cape lost in care of taxidermist, now what?

So as the subject stated, I have lost an elk cape. I harvested a bull on a cool overcast day with on and off light drizzle. We had the bull gutted in under 45 minuets and skinned out within 4 hours, the head was to the taxidermist within 11 hours. I contacted the taxidermist today to see if he had gotten it back from the tannery. He informed me the cape had slipped and didn’t know why. He did not blame me at all. He remembered me bringing it too him to ensure the cape would be good. He also remembered telling me the cape would be fine as I’m always concerned about slippage. He said he cooled it down properly before freezing.

So none of the above really matters now. He is a reputable taxidermist located in my home province of Saskatchewan Canada. What is normal protocol? Too bad for me? He supplies a new cape? He supplies a cape of the same size? I never took any measurements, but the hanging wait at the butcher was 816lbs so a dam big elk. Or does he supply a similar cape and more?

I’m gutted the cape is nearly just as important to me as the antlers are. I would never opt for a donor cape if I didn’t have too. I’m so glad I took the head home and euro mounted it my self as I’m not even sure if I want to do a shoulder mount now.

I’m not happy about the cape slipping, but do understand that sometimes things happen. The one thing that adds to my extreme disappointment and anger is that I had contacted him a month ago via messenger asking about my cape. He saw that message but did not respond. Then I text him today and found this all out. If he would have contacted me in January or whenever he found out I probably wouldn’t be so upset.

Regards
    A frustrated and disappointed Canadian Mulie

Would love to be someone’s packhorse on a goat hunt.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk cape lost in care of taxidermist, now what?

Just be happy if you have your antlers! You could have lost much more than the cape! If this particular taxidermist buys a cape for $300, he will probably sell you one for $300. There’s way worse Horror stories out there! Just ask me!

Maybe just do a euro mount ...

Sounds like bull shit to me. What you are dealing with is a business, I would follow it up, from him get the number of tannery company and check with them.
    Because the cape slipped (I'm presuming that means a loss of hair in spots?), does not remove the cape from your ownership. Have it shipped back and make sure the size is correct. If there is one thing I'm skeptical about it is taxidermist.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Mist View Post
    Maybe just do a euro mount ...
    I agree, they look stellar too.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by b72471 View Post
    Sounds like bull shit to me. What you are dealing with is a business, I would follow it up, from him get the number of tannery company and check with them.
    Because the cape slipped (I'm presuming that means a loss of hair in spots?), does not remove the cape from your ownership. Have it shipped back and make sure the size is correct. If there is one thing I'm skeptical about it is taxidermist.
    Agreed. Id 100 percent be asking for the original back, slipped hair or not... Who's to say they didn't sell the cape to someone who would pay $$$$ for a cape of that size... Something doesn't seem right.

Well I was sceptical also, I let him know that I also had the thought of the cape being sold or used on a different mount. He told me not to question his integrity. And to be honest I don’t think he personally sold the cape. I have no idea about the tannery though. It’s quite possible that someone there just needed one. The bull is already euro mounted clean and white. I guess I didn’t trust anyone for a few years because I have always dropped the cape with a taxidermist, and took my head home to euro for the time until the taxi was ready to mount. Then I dropped the euro rack back with him.

He said that he could get a cape from his family’s elk farm, or wait till this fall to get one. He never stated if he would do this free of charge or at my cost. I wanted to get a bit more educated on this kind of situation before I took the conversation further. I appreciate the comments guys especially the I’d like my cape back anyway ones. I think if I could see for myself I’d never have accused him of selling it.

CM
    Last edited by CanadianMulie; 05-16-2018 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Add a paragraph
    Would love to be someone’s packhorse on a goat hunt.

He says he get another cape for you from his family elk farm/wait for the fall to get you another one? Hmmm I hope he is not gonna take someone else's cape to replace yours...I know a meat company who did that with my buddy. He complained the meat he was picking up didn't look like the same amount he dropped off, so the butcher just casually walked I the back and grabbed some of someone else's and said "here"

I say be happy with the skull mount. Strange situation about the cape though.

Stick with euro mount and save the coin.....do shoulder mount on your next elk. Kinda sucks but dont sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your rack and remember the hunt.
    Last edited by northof49; 05-16-2018 at 07:57 AM.