Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrating 75 years -- The Chadwick Ram 1936-2011

Celebrating 75 years -- The Chadwick Ram 1936-2011

Since it’s stone sheep hunting right now, I tough to share this. It’s from the B&C trophy watch and what an amazing animal!!!

Right horn: 50-1/8 Left horn: 51-5/8. No other mountain sheep on record of any species has recorded both horns over 50-inches.

The World's Record Stone's sheep is considered by many big game enthusiasts to be North America's greatest trophy. L.S. Chadwick took this unbelievable specimen while on expedition along the Muskwa River draining in British Columbia on August 28, 1936.

At a final score of 196-6/8, in 75 years of hunting and records keeping no other Stone's sheep ram has come close. The #2 all-time B&C ram was taken in 1962 and scores 190, which is also the only other ram on record to score over 190.

Why is it that one animal, that now lives only in pictures and on a mounted form, is so celebrated? Perhaps it is that the days of the month-long expiation hunts on horseback, deep into the "never hunted" are long gone. It could be that this particular trophy stands as a testament to these once untouched and unspoiled wildernesses? Maybe it's because this one trophy represents our long fascination with the biggest and the best.

Will this World's Record ever be bested? Within the top 20 rams on record (183 - 196-6/ only three rams have been taken since 1970. From this list it appears the decade of the highest-ranking Stone's was the 1960s.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChadwickEnews.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	3605  
    Shoot straight or eat track soup.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Celebrating 75 years -- The Chadwick Ram 1936-2011

Ive been looking does any one know the age of the ram , betca its not a dink lol
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

That's one trophy I personally think will never be beaten. Deer,moose,elk,caribou,....yes. Stones sheep no.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by ThinAir View Post
    That's one trophy I personally think will never be beaten. Deer,moose,elk,caribou,....yes. Stones sheep no.
    I agree with you on this one, I saw a picture of a stone sheep once that a biologist took from a helocopter that would rank right up there but still wouldn't have scored near as high.

Where is the Ram today? anybody know?

Betcha that was one sheep were the guide wished he could shoot first! I think his name was Ray Hargreaves or something of that sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin375 View Post
    Where is the Ram today? anybody know?
    The ram is owned by the Boone & Crockett club and they have it on display.

There is a full sized statue of the ram in Fort Nelson. The little museum there also has items from the hunt on display.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinAir View Post
    I like to think I might get a bigger one lol or do I have a better chance at winning the lotto

Sorry guys the Chadwick ram is in my back yard.

Anyway that's from Fort Nelson. That's what dreams are made of; mass, big curls and long long horns!!!!
    Shoot straight or eat track soup.