Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Garmin Inreache Expolrer

Re: New Garmin Inreache Expolrer

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    Go with the mini. Or wait for garmin to release a new model that is 100% compatible with basecamp and has an SD slot for a backgrounds map book chip.
    I also have the mini. Its great for communicating when paired with a phone, or without if using the pre-set messages. You can have a quite a few preset messages and they don't affect your plan the same way. As for the maps, they are identical to your maps OP. The Inreach explorer still uses the DeLorme maps and has no SD capability, so no Backroads maps or other third party topo. I agree with Sharpish. Either buy the mini and a separate GPS or wait for Garmin to eventually update the product to use Garmin maps and have SD capability.

Sharpish any news on this? I got fed up of waiting and just went for the mini. I often us my phone with pre downloaded maps for GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelantos View Post
    You can have a quite a few preset messages and they don't affect your plan the same way.
    You can SEND quite a few preset messages (unlimited, actually), but as far as i'm aware you can only HAVE three.
    Does your plan actually allow you to have more than 3 preset messages defined?

I believe you need the other inreach users inreach address.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I haven't tested that yet. I just got it today.

What i don't understand is how to communicate with another inReach ..... if you have to send a msg first to start, how do you know what the number of the other inReach is to send it to? :/

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    You can SEND quite a few preset messages (unlimited, actually), but as far as i'm aware you can only HAVE three.
    Does your plan actually allow you to have more than 3 preset messages defined?
    Sorry you're right - you can have 3 preset messages that have a preset message and preset recipient and don't affect your plan. You can have 20 quick messages with a prewritten message but variable recipient and they do affect your plan. They are however easy to send on the mini without a Bluetooth phone for the typing.

I have the Delorm Inreach SE. All I use it for is the SOS (if ever needed), and the 3 preset messages.

I use my phone with Ihunter for GPS/e-scouting/tracking.

I like keeping the two seperate so I can keep my SOS battery well charged.

Yup Jamfarm is correct it looks like an email address

Using inReach to inReach Communication

Every inReach user account is assigned a unique inReach address for inReach-to-inReach communication. If you have an inReach device you can send a message from your inReach to another inReach by using the inReach address for the recipient.

The inReach address will only work for inReach-to-inReach communication, e-mails sent to the inReach address will not be delivered.

1. Obtain the inReach address for the inReach user to be messaged. To find the inReach address for an inReach account, follow the steps below.
      1. Log in to the inReach account at explore.garmin.com
      2. Click the Account tab.
      3. The inReach address can be found in the My Info section in the left hand column.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelantos View Post
    Yup Jamfarm is correct it looks like an email address
    is that how someone can initiate communication with me without me having to msg them first?

Because i just sent myself an email to the @inreach.garmin.com email address but it never came in .... been over an hour now. So i'm guessing no? ....

EDIT: Did not refresh page before i posted ... seems jorick has found the answer ..... it only works from inReach to inReach.

Thanks jorick!

Sending a Message through the inReach MapShare

IMPORTANT

In order to send a message to an inReach through a MapShare page, the owner of the inReach account must have enabled MapShare for the inReach device and set the options of the MapShare so visitors are able to message the device.

1. Visit the MapShare page for the inReach device to be messaged.
    2. Select the inReach device to be messaged.