Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McNab Creek Elk Hunt

Re: McNab Creek Elk Hunt

Worth mentioning that most of the valley floor is private till you get up to the first bridge. Would be worth looking at the property plots before you head over, as they're getting more touchy about it with all the drama surrounding the gravel pit they're gonna dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidp View Post
    Hi All. I recieved a quote to have quads barged in to Mcnab and just about fell off my rocker. perhaps im just CHEAP,haha, but its a 7km barge trip and quote was 1K in, 1K out. Seems a bit high and really cuts into my budget. Im looking at a couple things. Perhaps accessing MU 2-5 zone F from Sechelt inlet, Sechelt Creek, and perhaps looking for a old alluminum skiff to rent or borrow, that i could tow with my boat. A skiff big enough to hold one quad with trailer, and make two trips.. Im going to make a scouting trip there in a couple weeks, and try to figure something out.
    Also, is there any maps out there that define the ZONES withing the MU's?? Thanks all
    Partner had that draw years ago. We brought his flat bottom tin jet boat with a quad on it, I brought my 22ft fiberglass with brand new outboard. Crazy storm did about $8k damage to the boats. I'd have gladly paid $2k and have had two quads instead of one. Buddy did poke a decent bull though, expensive chewin but wtf... And FYI have you trailered a boat with be ferries lately? That alone cost us close to $1k...
    Last edited by .264winmag; 09-19-2018 at 04:01 AM.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidp View Post
    Well, getting a few things organised. Found a reasonable way in. Water taxi two quads in plus gear, 400 in, 400 out. Thats doable.. I will also be bringing my boat in, so we have a way out when we want, I can pack some gear too. Working on tent. Have a pole tent frame that will get me a tent 10' x 18'. I will have to use tarps for floor, walls, and roof. I have a propane cat heater that im thinking about bringing, but im told that they create lots of humidity... so i still might have to weld up a quick and dirty wood stove. will have to make some sort of fire ******ent spot in wall or roof tarp for stove pipe. This might be the way to go.....
    Not sure if it's still standing, but we moved into the upstairs of the old logging shop after the storm wiped out our wall tent camp HA
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Good luck, looking forward to hearing about it. I put in for the next draw over, rainy river, for many years and never got it.

I found this on a 4x4 forum

I did get over to the Sunshine Coast with the plan to see how high up towards Squamish I could get following the coast up north from Langdale.

The first obstacle was the Port Mellon pulp mill, it has a gate accross the road that resembles a border crossing (cameras, lift gates, dark glass etc..). It gives you the impression that this is the end of the road. But...I drove up & waited at the gate until a security guard appears & says "do you have business at the mill?" I said, No, but I'm trying to get onto the FSR. He dissapears back into the office & the gate opens. So off I go through the gate. (what's with that!)
    I then had to find a very overgrown trail that actually bypasses the pulp mill buildings (to avoid another 2 gates with cameras & intercoms). After the bypass I finally got onto the trail that heads north from Port Melon to McNab creek following the power lines north. It was a great trail with lots of just amazing scenery over towards the mainland. This is basically the Sea-to-Sky highway but on the West side. I can now see what the old Sea-to-sky highway was like before Whistler was born & the trail was paved!

Anyhow to cut a long story short, I was getting excited about exploring up all the way to Squamish when all of a sudden the road dead-ended in a small clearing with a makeshift heli-pad & a boat dock! I guess I was just a few km's short (south) of McNab creek. So I can offically cross this off as a Langdale to Squamish alternative route!! The search continues....

The next day we spent exploring Rainy creek trail, with a beautiful waterfall mid way up the mountain...we have promised ourselves to explore this great trail further...but that's another day!!
    Thanks to Bill for posting the photos in the gallery.

cheers,
    Andy
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

The first 2.5 km of the road is all private land. If you go through port melon is a bit of a haul if you can even get through. Crossing sechelt creek can be impassable if the water is high. Access is tough here now.
    Good luck on your draw.

Well, starting to sort out a few details. Getting Quads in is taken care of. Still working out accomadations, but I am going to pick up a wall tent on friday, My hunting partner and I are quite open to dates as the draw is 30 days long. Ideal to start hunt first day, but if weather looks like its going to be crappy, we can try to wait as both of us are retired. Im not afraid of the wet coast as I lived in Tahsis for 8 years and grew up on the island. we are quite prepared for rain and cold if it happens. I was going to make a scouting trip before, but not sure if thats in the cards now, so any current info on the area would be great. I will keep posting as things come together. CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    The first 2.5 km of the road is all private land. If you go through port melon is a bit of a haul if you can even get through. Crossing sechelt creek can be impassable if the water is high. Access is tough here now.
    Good luck on your draw.
    Brambo - where do you see that the first 2.5km of road is private? Assuming you're talking about the road from the McNab loggers dock (south side of the estuary) and up. I checked BC Assessment and it appears to be a tree farm license - which I believe is crown land available for us to use.

Water taxi across. Hoof it and back pack hunt

I checked out the McNab creek dock on the weekend. Burnco (the company doing the gravel pit next to the creek - see ya salmon!) has installed no trespassing / no hunting / no docking signs. Sucks for those of us who used to use that area responsibly.

The ramp is right in front of a no-trespassing sign as well, so I'm not sure where you're going to unload the quads. Maybe the private dock on the north side of the delta has a ramp you can use.