Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear hunting with a bow

Bear hunting with a bow

Is there any advice out there for taking a bear with a bow. Broadheads , distance shot placement etc. I am shooting a 60 pound bow with Montec g5 100grain. Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear hunting with a bow

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Is there any advice out there for taking a bear with a bow. Broadheads , distance shot placement etc. I am shooting a 60 pound bow with Montec g5 100grain. Any tips would be appreciated.

Any deer set up will work for bears. Your bow/broadheads will be just fine.

IMO, only one shot on bears. Broadside, double lung. Center body height, about 4-5 inches back from elbow. They are not made of steel and will expire quite quickly when double lunged. That said, don't be in a hurry, give em lots of time.

Shot distance is subjective and I'm not interested in starting a debate, but consider this. You are shooting an animal that will be very dangerous if wounded by a bad hit. I suggest if you are a 40/50/60 yards deer/elk shooter to seriously consider decreasing your max shot range on bears. If anything about your shot opportunity is questionable, pass on the shot.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-11-2023 at 09:33 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Bear hunting with a bow

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    ... If anything about your shot opportunity is questionable, pass on the shot.
    This. In spades.

Been a few times I've crawled through the tight bear tunnels with the stubby 12 in hand due to someone rushing their shot.
    NOT a good feeling!!

Cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Broad heads have to be super sharp
    This is most important with bears to get the blood glowing.. i have had many bears die on impact with a arrow. I had a hard time getting monetec sharp as needed to kill bear.. i use thunderheads.

Thanks for the tips

On Saturday, Brad Jones, 51, killed a 780-pound black bear with bow and arrow in N.C.
    - this may be the largest bear killed with a bow and arrow in at least North Carolina.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/heaviest-north-carolina-black-bear/

The biggest wild American black bear ever recorded was a male from New Brunswick, shot in November 1972, that weighed
    409 kg (902 lb) after it had been dressed, meaning it weighed an estimated 500 kg (1,100 lb) in life and measured 2.41 m (7 ft 11 in) long.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Any deer set up will work for bears. Your bow/broadheads will be just fine.

IMO, only one shot on bears. Broadside, double lung. Center body height, about 4-5 inches back from elbow. They are not made of steel and will expire quite quickly when double lunged. That said, don't be in a hurry, give em lots of time.

Shot distance is subjective and I'm not interested in starting a debate, but consider this. You are shooting an animal that will be very dangerous if wounded by a bad hit. I suggest if you are a 40/50/60 yards deer/elk shooter to seriously consider decreasing your max shot range on bears. If anything about your shot opportunity is questionable, pass on the shot.
    I agree with this. On one of Brian Barney's podcasts he talked about shooting a bear with his bow and it charged him. Of course he was packing a handgun and he said that it took a number of shots to acquire the target and he killed it with the handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by jamfarm View Post
    I agree with this. On one of Brian Barney's podcasts he talked about shooting a bear with his bow and it charged him. Of course he was packing a handgun and he said that it took a number of shots to acquire the target and he killed it with the handgun.
    Several years ago I stalked into about 25 yards of had a VERY large vancouver island black bear. As I waited for a shot opportunity, he closed the distance to about at about 12 yards when he finally tuned broadside. I was at full draw and just about to shoot when he winded me. He turned, took a couple steps toward me and started jaw popping and huffing as he emptied his bowels. Did this for about 7-10 seconds. He then turned back broadside and paused for a second before running down into the cut. I was at full draw for all of it.

To this day, I think if I'd loosed that arrow, he would have been on me.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-20-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Spot and stalk on bears can be a lot of fun. We had a spot near home with lots of bears. We would take our wives with us, they ladies would climb a short ways up the opposite hill from the bears and sit in lawn chairs and drink wine, while we stalked a 'collection' of bears. We both shoot 64lb recurves. Heavy arrows, short range and sharp broadheads. Babes, bears and broadheads. We were able to stalk to within 10 yards multiple times. I did take a bear at about 18 yards. Anytime we were in close and the bear became aware of our presence, they bolted away. Good memories.

I had a friend shoot a bear at a dump... as he approached it was getting dark and he thought the bear was at the far end but it showed up right in front about 10 feet away facing him... it dropped with the broad head sticking out the back of it's skull... went in one eye socket.

I think he has shot 23 bears with a bow.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool