Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Bug Lures

Lucky Bug Lures

Anyone try out the LUCKY BUG LURE?
    Just wondering if you have had luck with them, they look good.
    MM

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lucky Bug Lures

dont waste your money i tie flies that work way better

They work well for rainbows....dont last long though, the feathers are poorly tied on.

that thing catches fish? lol ugly

Ha ha good to know...

When they first came out I bought and tried a few different patterns, very little success. My go to lure is flatfish/kwikfish.

I have heard a few guys using them to catch fish.
    But, there are much better patterns that work, probably better and last longer.
    And other spoons and flatfish that work also.

Suggestion, even if one has no interest to get into "fly fishing", due to costs or thinking they need to cast all day long (which is
    false), thats is okay, there are many ways to fish, but watch some internet stuff (Brian Chan) on entomology and fishing
    techniques and what fish "focus on" for feed and at what times of the year.

At least getting the "full picture" of what fly fishing is truly about will help everyone select the right patterns or lures that will
    possibly target the fish on that day.

Here's a tip for anyone interested:

Ever heard of a Booby Pattern?
    Its a very ugly pattern with foam eyes and stupid colors if you ask me (although i tie the traditional olives and blacks).
    Its the "go to" pattern when fish don't seem to bite on anything else.
    People demonstrate using this pattern by sitting anchored, casting out the fly, using super fast sinking line to get it down into the
    marl and then quickly stripping it back, bouncing it off the marl, and then repeat.

Well, a lot of folks dont like to fish and cast that way, and they "dont have to"!
    You need a fairly heavy sinking line.
    Send out all the main line, meaning even if this line might go down 50 ft in a slow troll and your in 30 ft, just let it out.
    Let the line slide along the ground if need be.
    Just have 10- 15 ft leader on it and the foam eyes will suspend the fly and more importantly, the "hook" a few feet off the ground.
    As long as the ground bottom isn't covered in tall weeds or bulrushes or has a stump/branch, you can move around real slow
    and not get hung up most of the time.

And fishing a fly only a couple of feet at best off the bottom, is quite often the zone rainbows will feed in much of the time.

I fish in a belly boat, so no fish finder and often the lake isnt very clear to see all that far down to see actual fish feeding.
    So, i use this technique on 1 of 2 rods when out there to "locate" areas where fish are.
    And many times, stick with that fly even after that, as they just seem to like it!!???

When I first started fishing I couldn't catch a thing with a spin-cast rod. As soon as I tried fly fishing, I caught a fish within the first couple outings. Ever since fly fishing has been the only method I use.

Lucky bugs work very well, My personal favorite is the frog or black and silver. They give off a nice action. This was on some lake on the bonaparte plateau.

i have some...but haven't found success yet with them.