Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yet another pack threadpike

Re: Yet another pack threadpike

Quote Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
    I just bit the bullet and ordered the icon 7200
    Cant wait to see that first critter in it!!!
    I hunt sheep to see over the next mountain, not to measure the next trophy.

I have a MR CrewCab, really like it. It's been my day pack for the last few years with no complaints. I don't find the organization layout of the pack complicated. Lots of hype about the Metcalf so I picked up a used one in good shape, should be here in a couple days. We'll see how it is!
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Mystery Ranch is releasing their new packs i think this week or the next...supposed to be some lighter weight packs coming from them

Re: Yet another pack thread

I use the 6500 to get ALL my gear up the river for 7-10 days. Food, clothes bullets, sleeping bag, everything. When I set up my tent I leave all my gear there that I don't need for hunting and use the compression straps to make the bag smaller. If and when I have to pack out quarters, I've got the big bag ready to go. And for those who say the MR packs are too heavy.......it's time to hit the gym. The 6500 is the best in the business.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

Geez - all this talk about MR, KUIU, SG, etc and no one has mentioned an Arcteryx... I run the bora, and it's been fantastic hauling big loads and after years of use it looks as new... Am I missing something with a mountaineering internal frame pack??

TJ

I carried my first pack in 1956, have owned many and used many others since, worked in the industry and could usually afford any gear I wanted.

NOBODY makes a superior pack in quality to Dana Gleason, his MR packs are simply the best production packs I have ever carried.

That said, if YOU find another brand better FOR YOU, then that is the way to go.

One point here, if you are leaning forward with 75-100 lb. loads, the pack is NOT fitting YOU correctly and it is VERY hard on your body.

I stand erect with my training load, until 2012, of 90 lbs in my MR NICE packs and my older Dana Design-Bozeman made Shortbed Terraframes. I am now pretty crippled and packing is probably done for me, but, I will try this week at the local track/bleachers to see IF I can work up to a decent load.

For those who want THE BEST, go to Dan McHale in Seattle and be ready to pay about twice what an MR, etc. will cost you.

Alot of the issue with leaning isnt pack adjustment or quality of pack(a small portion at times can be). Most of it can be associated with core strength of the individual wearing the pack. A guy not used to carrying 80lbs and isnt in shape to do so will tend to lean more as the weight gets heavier or day gets longer. Load lifters and such for sure needs to be adjusted properly as well as strap heights and waist belts but conditioning more than anything reflects on a person's stance. An ill fitted pack tends to reflect more on sore hips, shoulders and shoulder fatigue.

Life size stone cape, horns all deboned meat and day gear. 110lbs+ low quality pack in most guys minds.

Another full ram in same pack.

Pack Junkie!!! LOL