Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: as bear season approaches.....shot placement opinions

Re: as bear season approaches.....shot placement opinions

Black bear`s diaphram is back farther than most hunters realise and so this point of aim is correct . Dont be sucked in by those 10 rings on those damn Mackenzie targets .
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 03-31-2015 at 07:48 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Very good read... I will be giving it a go!

A big thing to remember for bowhunters that are new to targeting bears with a bow. They can be the biggest pain in the butt to track after they are hit. Because of their fur they can soak up blood leaving a poor blood trail to follow at times. This is really an issue when a bear is hit high in the lungs when shot on level ground. Just because you are finding no blood or little blood does not mean it was a poor shot or miss all the time.

Give them plenty of time to go down before starting to look for even the first sign of blood. This way you don't push them farther. Work on tracking beyond just looking for blood broken sticks, bent or trampled vegetation, scuffed ground, and tracks. I have had bears that did not leave a drop of blood till I got 10 feet away from where they went down. Be prepared to run a grid search and look under ever fricken log brush pile you name it. TAKE YOUR TIME you don't want to trample the area making false sign to follow.

This is 1 down side to spot and stalk bear hunting often you will not get that low exit hole that you would from shooting from a tree stand making tracking more difficult at times.

In my opinion poor blood trails from black bears is a close 2nd to poor shot placement for reasons people do not recover their bear.

That's a big fear of mine wild one, after seeing how they can soak of blood on a rifle shot.

I've intended to use g5 montecs, but I have a pack of rage hypodermic mechanicals as well. Do you think it would be worth running the mechanical to try and make a bigger hole?

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by pin_head View Post
    That's a big fear of mine wild one, after seeing how they can soak of blood on a rifle shot.

I've intended to use g5 montecs, but I have a pack of rage hypodermic mechanicals as well. Do you think it would be worth running the mechanical to try and make a bigger hole?

Brad

I don't trust rage broadheads as I find the blades weak and don't trust there opening mechanism in my opinion they are poor construction. In my opinion rage work when all goes well but would not trust the blades even hitting a rib. I am not anti mec as I shot spitfires for a few seasons.

Go with the montecs as you can tell I am no fan of rage.

The truth of the matter is when bowhunting bears you will get poor blood trails from time to time no matter what broadhead you use. It is really something that can't be completely avoided. You really just need to understand poor blood trails are a real possibility and be ready to resort to a grid search(in my opinion this applies to tracking any animal).

Give lots of time for the bear to die so you don't push him further. I like a hour or more depending on the time of day. I cannot preach it hard enough go slow and take your time when tracking. Mark any sign you find with flagging tape so you can come back to last known sign if you loose the trail. If you really can't find your bear take a 100yard square and work it 1 row at a time. Often you will find your bear and at the worst you will find the sign you missed to start tracking again.

It is not something to fear but is something to be prepared for knowing you may need to put in some time and effort

Don't stress too hard I have had blood trails a blind man could follow as well. I also find if you don't push them they don't go far to die

Quote Originally Posted by pin_head View Post

Brad
    Montec G5 carbons are my go to for all long haired critters.

I always go for a double lung if I can....

Carry half a role of toilet paper and mark every drop of blood, if the trail is sparse. Hang it at head height if possible. Often if you run out of sign, you can look back at the white TP blazes and get a pretty accurate direction of travel. A hard hit animal will often travel a pretty straight line when it's on a dead run.

I've run lots of Spitfires through lots of bears. And a few Rages to, but I just don't like the design of the Rage.

Exit hole on quartering away shot

I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Oh man! I wish I had read this a few years earlier....so true!
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"

Maybe this evening