Thread: Hunting Time.

Question Hunting Time.

So i have the pointing dogs, then I passed my PAL, and have a gun soon to be swapped into my name once the license is good to go... is there anything else i need to be able to hunt bobwhite, quail, and grouse.

Also... how the heck do you find em around the Cowichan Valley? LoL.
    And is there any particular "season" for them?

Any advice for a rookie.

"Maximum of Quality in the Minimum of Size!'
    Monsieur Gaston Pouchain

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Time.

Also the dog part.... any hints or tips with what to do with your dog if you ever do find anything that you can shoot at.

Monsieur Gaston Pouchain

Quote Originally Posted by dakotawinters View Post
    Also the dog part.... any hints or tips with what to do with your dog if you ever do find anything that you can shoot at.

Shoot high.

Next step is read and understand the hunting regulations for your region. I'm pretty sure grouse and quail seasons are now closed until next fall. It's training time now for you and your dog.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotawinters View Post
    So i have the pointing dogs, then I passed my PAL, and have a gun soon to be swapped into my name once the license is good to go... is there anything else i need to be able to hunt bobwhite, quail, and grouse.

Also... how the heck do you find em around the Cowichan Valley? LoL.
    And is there any particular "season" for them?

Any advice for a rookie.

You'll need to complete the CORE course as well before you can get your hunter number and license.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

We have been practicing with pigeons, chuckers, and quail with the VIPDC. So we rock at locating, just have to firm up the points. Last year Willy learned to spring the little buggers from their cages so i had a few eaten ones. Think the real thing (and them getting away) might help him heaps.
    We do the barrel, pigeon pole, and the boards to do the whoa-ing on.
    Not quite sure what the next steps are i fear the dogs are getting bored with not doing the real thing.

Monsieur Gaston Pouchain

It might be fun to explore and scout in your area and see if your dogs can find any wild birds. Worst case you have a nice walk.
    That's what I would do with my Springer if she wasnt recovering from her ICL operation . I haven't had her on any birds yet. Might be fun to try with raised birds when she is better.

Have you taken your core course yet? If so pick up a copy of the hunting synopsis and it will show you when the season is for your area. Good luck
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Im with the VIPDC as well. I made a world of difference shooting birds over Grady. He was busting in on the remote launchers and on planted birds. Now he holds point until the flush. Now when I train with homing pigeons, If he points and holds until the flush i shoot a blank gun for a reward. If he tries to bust in and not point I flush the bird and it flys home and nothing said, he chases it with no reward. Also he has figured out how to track me to the laucher so I have to be very careful of wind and how I plant the bird.
    BCWF
    VIPDC

Finding an area to hunt that lends it self to hunting with pointing dogs is one small problem that unfortunately will take a bit of searching. However, once you have done that, I think you will find that watching your dog work out in a field pointing out birds, becomes more enjoyable than shooting them. Just my two cents on the matter.

PM sent let me know if your into it.