Thread: Goose Shoot Jan 3 2011

Goose Shoot Jan 3 2011

Well I woke up at a solid 6 am this morning. A little late for me. But luckily everything except shotguns and ammo were loaded up the night before. Me and my grandpa loaded up and headed to our field to meet our hunting buddy Ted at 7am. We made it there at 7:10... cool. Still late for me.

We got to our blind and I had to roll out the red carpet (cut brambles and black berry bushes out of it) while gramps and Ted set up decoys. As I was cutting away I seen a lone duck fly overhead. That was okay because it wasn't shooting time yet.

As daylight broke we could hear geese in the river behind our blind. The sun broke mount baker at 8:18 am. Then thats when some of the geese got up and started moving. Most of them would just get up, fly a high circle and land in the river again.

gramps was getting antsy so he went walking down the field to go mess around or whatever(sans shotgun). Sure enough a flight of geese come overhead. Me and Ted take cover and the first flight flew overhead towards the river behind us. Ted told me to call the shot. So I let the first flight pass because we had no 4 legged retriever or boat. And the ice between the beach and water was a deterrent for me to be stripping down and swimming after any geese today. Right behind that flight was another small flock that was coming more parallel to our blind. So we each took a bird out of that group. We retrieved them and they were only cacklers. I'm not sure what any of Ted's birds weighed but mine was only 5.5lbs.

So my grandpa is back at the blind at this point after all the shooting and commotion. We could still hear geese in the river behind us. I crept on top of the blind and looked over the blackberries and down to the river. From my vantage point I could see 3 large flocks of geese.

Finally they picked up off the water at about 9:30. There was geese everywhere. Everywhere except my shooting lanes. My grandpa and Ted each knocked one down. The one my grandpa got was falling out of the sky pretty fast. Problem was it was headed straight towards us! Ted got out of the blind and basically was doing the hokey pokey to dodge this thing. Finally he stopped looked up and took a step to his left and the bird hit the ground right beside him. Close call but I thought it was funny.

We waited for a bit longer a small flight came and we all picked one out of the air. The geese started to get bigger!

Two more flights came I ended up getting two, my grandpa got two and ted got one.

So total my grandpa got four, Ted got three and I got four. We packed up at one and there was still geese flying al lover the place. Like I said I'm not sure what Ted's geese weighed but I know my grandpa got an 11, 11.5, 9.5 and 5.5 pounders. I took the lead with a 10.5, 6, 9.5 and a 12 pounder.

I did have pictures of them all but some doomass(myself) deleted the pictures of his camera before they were finished transferring. Anyhow I got them all dressed out and I know I'm going to hit it up saturday again for one last shoot. Hopefully weather changes to push elsewhere!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Goose Shoot Jan 3 2011

Sounds like a really productive day. Too bad about the pics.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Nice job on the Honkers!

Way to GO!

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean