Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What wood do you smoke salmon with? And why?

Re: What wood do you smoke salmon with? And why?

alder is the go to but i like to mix it up and try different flavours. If your'e looking to try something different try chipping up some old wine/whiskey/port casks. My favourite is:
    Salmon candy- sockeye or chinook
    -cut salmon into 1'thick by 2-3'wide strips
    -dry rub 1 part kosher salt to 4 part brown sugar- let sit in fridge for aprox 12hrs
    -wash off and let air dry for about an hr until flesh is tacky
    -Wet a cloth w your favourite run and rub lightly across, again let air dry and then glaze w maple syrup.
    -Cold smoke w port cask chips- if you don't have a supply Bradley sells some
    -cold smoke w alder to finish
    -turn heat up slightly to dry and finish.
    Guess what I'm doing this weekend????
    Gut Moose?

I finished smoking it, and did not use any more wood. It came out really good. It was dry brined- brown sugar and rock salt, thats it. 1 kg sugar to about 3/4 cup salt. I followed a recipe, found here:

http://www.anglingbc.com/articles/smokin.html

Brined for 2 days. I think longer is better- i do not think short 10 hours is long enough in this case.

The wood i used added a deeper smoke than what I am used to. I am glad i stopped adding wood when I did. Thanks for that advice. I think i'll get some alder this fall.

Alder;
    Cause the stuff has to be good for something.

When I was a salmon guide on the island in the 70's I took a guy out from the states that ran a commercial smoking operation. He told me that most of his customers wanted hickory smoked, but his best kept secret was to use willow. I tried it and found it gave an excellent colour and flavor and that was all I used after that.
    Living in the S. Okanagan now and haven't smoked meat for years, but have been seriously considering building another smokehouse. When I do, it's back to willow.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

Quote Originally Posted by darrin6109 View Post
    alder, because its the best with my dry cure recipe.did i mention it has peppercorns in it? its awesome.
    Hey, any chance that you would put up your dry cure recipe here? Sounds mouth-watering.

ive only really used hickory and mesquite but prefer hickory especially with my offset smoker but i think the wood fire heat also adds a nice taste, gunna pick up some more variety now that i got the offset since ill be smoking much more than fish with it
    If it aint broke......dont fix it

VA7BUB

Quote Originally Posted by chinook View Post
    I usually Apple or Alder and either seems to work fine with my recipe. I suggest not using morning wood.....it would likely come out too salty.

hahaha thats great

I use apple, alder or maple depending on the batch.

Trapper D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Albafly View Post
    Hi guys,

I am currently half way through a batch of smoked salmon. I ran out of wood chips, so I had to go grab some from a shop- they only had mesquite, so thats what I am using!

Got me thinking- what wood do you use to smoke salmon, and why? What are the differences between woods? Does the size of the chips matter? Any info would be good!

Thanks
    fruit trees are sweeter, apple, cherry,etc . alder is used, i did the same early in august, and ended up using hickory chips, very little difference, the amount of time in the brine to me is way more important, 4 hours in the brine the smoked sockeye was still moist where-as the sockeye that i forgot about brined for 12 hours and it ended up being drier and saltier, as well as that i was making cuts across the grain of the salmon placed an inch apart, going about half the thickness of the fillet into the meat. then i painted cane sugar 2 to 3 times during smoking on them and they turned out awsome, of all the syrups , ie maple, corn , aunt jemima, cane was the thickest and didnt run off like the others.... i used a dry brine with, demerara sugar and coarse salt in equal parts, sprikled on each fillet layer after layer on top of each other, throw it in the fridge covered for 4 hours then, rinse the brine off of each piece, place on rack, let stand for an hour to dry , then plaqce them in preheated smoker . this year was very good fishing for me, so after we smoked them we canned a lot of it, when you do that you , pull them out of the smoker after a short smoke, so there still pliable to get them in the jars. yes i know, paragraphs, grammer cops ,not far behind

guest Guest

Cherry , Alder or Apple.

CT