Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jack Russell, What Can I do with it?

Re: Jack Russell, What Can I do with it?

Well, you gotta have what it takes to live with a JRT. Thanks for the reality check, guys, but I was hoping to find someone who actually has reached new frontiers with his/her dog. As far as JRT are concern, Iggy is much more tempered than most of them (I had another one which was on the turbo boost most of the day), though he has is moments.

What I was thinking of was to use the intensity to search, and the obedience to just wait for me. I'm not convinced it is that crazy of an idea. This a dog that can heel on the street with me without a leash and will stay there no matter what goes around: squirrels, cats. When temptation seems too strong, a firm "hey", and he's back on track. So, I don't think it is impossible, but I would to hear from someone who got close to that.

Give the poor guy his due... he's a JRT! It's not him it's his bloodline. That's what they were for. Killing stuff, and they do it amazingly well. Tenatious little buggers. He just can't help himself, it's the way he's wired.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!

My best friend growing up had a Cairn Terrier, a lot of the same traits as a JRT but once he hit about 2 he was much more mellow. He was a great hunting dog for us, albeit get it around water and its gone! We would have to tie him down in the canoe or else the little bugger would jump out when were in the middle of the lake and just keep on swimming. OCD for sure. LR

I have 2...one stupid the other very smart but he only likes to listen to himself...ya they like to kill but don't want to listen even though they know they are supposed to listen to you....

Jack russel terrorist
    " Many a child travels this high to be different, trying to get something from the mountain that nature couldn't give him down below"

Have you considered taking a tracking class? I just finished one in July and my dog learned a lot. For starters it is a great way to challenge your dog and drain off some of his energy, but you could also use it as a starting point to teach him to track bears, or whatever.

Re: Jack Russell, What Can I do with it?- Training Begins!

Okay, the spotting without the imminent attack might not work, so . .

Option B - Retrieving. I have a stuffed toy bird to practice with him. So I was shooting at my target with the bird at the foot of it. Pockets full of treats, I had Iggy fetching the bird on command. With a real bird, not sure the success will be the same, but I'll fight that battle later on, it was only day one.

Then it down on me that I still have to retrieve my arrows anyway, so it's a bit useless of a skill.

Option C - Fetch the lost arrows. I began with the aluminum, but my dog doesn't like to have metal in its mouth, not a very good idea.

Oups!

Much better with the carbon ones, but I'm afraid he will damage them with his teeth, plus if they are stuck in tall grass, then he won't be able to carry them.

Option D - Find the lost arrows. Hey, it's better than just being useless. He has a good sense of smell, this will be doable. After close to an hour of trying all sorts of thing, my dog was losing his focus, so I stopped, but I'm confident that option D will work well.

These can be hard to find at times.

But Iggy spots them in no time . . . when the focus is on.