Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Archery Sights

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Best Archery Sights

Pin gap is a factor to remember when you're selecting both the size of the pins and the amount of pins in the sight.

If the bow is up in the 300 fps range, you might find that you only require a three or a four pin sight to reach out to 45 or 50 yards (beyond that I'd really not recommend shooting at an animal - even that is stretching it).

Faster than 300 fps you should only need three pins. The five pin sights will make the pin-gap too small and you'll get all your pins bunched together so they will appear as if they're touching and they will look like just a big clump of color - as extremearchy has said.

My hunting bow puts out 260 fps with arrows that weigh in at 370 - 365 grains each (including the broadhead). I use a Spot Hogg Real Deal 5-pin sight with .019 pins. Even at that slower speed my pins are all clustered together in the upper portion of the sight. They are just about too close together.

IMHO you need at least some pin-gap so that you can acquire the correct pin real fast when you're in an excitable hunting situation and don't have a lot of time to make the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    I'll recommend the Trophy Ridge sights. I'm a fan of the vertical inline pins and the TR sights are very tough.

I also own and use the Spot Hogg Real Deal 5-pin sight. One of, if not the, toughest sights on the market.
    I'll 2nd the Trophy Ridge , vertical pin is the way to go , no blocking out the shoulder head neck with the left to right pinnage.

I wasted a lot of money on trophy ridge and copper johns. Tell i wised up a got a spot hogg hogget . Mind you that was 7 years ago. trophyridge may have improved since then.

spot hogg all the way

Bow Walker Guest

Trophy Ridge has come a long way since you (and I) were using those plastic sights with the plastic pins - a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger4 View Post
    I'll 2nd the Trophy Ridge , vertical pin is the way to go , no blocking out the shoulder head neck with the left to right pinnage.
    I like the vertical idea. I tried it and didn't like it at low light conditions. I noticed when I was asked to field test a few sights that the pin light was lost after 20-30 yards. 40 and 50 where very dim and almost impossible to make out.

Living life at full draw.

I have a spott hogg sight on my AR and I have never thought about replacing it with anything else. I have a buddy that has one on his bow and he feels the same way. Once you set all the pins and tighten everything, you will never have to touch it again unless your string starts to stretch.
    I love animals
    They taste GREAT