Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hanging Meat

Re: Hanging Meat

has anybody tried putting a reefer unit on an insulated trailer?

[quote=krazy;510830]

Do you think the freezer would work up on edge?

Don't do it! It might run for about an hour before the motor burns out. Waste of a good freezer (even a free one).

Hello Ruger4
    Not trying to offend you here,but it is the sugar in the animal that breaks down to lactic acid which in turn breaks down connective tissue,
    Arctic Lake

You will kill the compressor if you run the freezer on end. They must be upright to keep the oil in the crankcase. If you can remove and rotate the compressor then you're good to go. Lotta work for little gain though.

So do the majority of hunters hang their meat because it tendorizes the meat? Is this just a myth or is there some fact to it?

Quote Originally Posted by leo.sun View Post
    So do the majority of hunters hang their meat because it tendorizes the meat? Is this just a myth or is there some fact to it?
    Naw,I hang mine long enough to cool it out,at around 0 to +5 a couple days.Then BUTCHER TIMEI did hang a really stinky old Mulie buck one time for 28 days in a proper cooler with an exhaust fan in it.I believe it was set for 34 degrees F.Turned out great.But mostly I let `em hang for a couple days,till the conveniant time to cut and wrap.Kinda like what I plan to do this morning if I get lucky on my way to work
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

i agree with mark process the meat the same day put it in a fridge. i always take care on my meat the same day in hot weather. there is no difference in taste of the animal that i have ever noticed.