Thread: bull scrapes

bull scrapes

Are there any good resources on the web for identifying rut phases for deer and moose? I have found an area where I know both deer and moose are abundant, but am unsure the difference of scrapes... also, the timing of the scrapes...

Thanks,

Derek

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bull scrapes

Deer scrapes have deer tracks in them and smell like deer piss....Moose tracks have moose tracks in them and don't smell like deer piss.....

I meant scrapes on the trees... as in, anter's rubbing the trees.

the rut happens differently for all critters depending on the location,deer will rut in early to mid november up north and mid to late nov. in the southern part of the province.moose have a longer gestation period so they are in the rut around mid september to mid oct up north.
    all members of the deer family will have a second rut a month later then the main rut to take care of any females that didn't get it the first time.
    tree rubs happen before ,during the rut
    if you need to know more just do a google search for gestation periods for deer/moose/elk etc.
    bruce
    i didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a friggin vegatarian

pretty sure a rub is on a tree and a scrape has band-aids on them..

You guys kill me !!!!!

All kiding aside, you will that most fresh rubs in Sept will be moose and elk and are usually on bigger regen. Deer will be more fresh in late Oct through November and are usually on smaller regen, but not always.

Moose have rut pits, a small hole dug in the ground that you will smell before you find it. The ground will be tore up around the hole as well. Again in late Sept to early Oct

Deer have scapes, ground pawed up and pi$$ed in, but no hole. Usually with whitetails and in November.

Best way is to go look and see what tracks are around the rubs and scrapes.

Good Luck

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Moose and elk usually rub a small tree hard, breaking alot of branches off and cutting into the tree deeply, usually smaller trees get broken.
    deer rub smaller and lighter and usually only break small branches and rarly break the to of the tree off.