Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has a good knife?

Re: Who has a good knife?

I like what I've been reading about the Cutco. I also just posted something in the "Hunting/Shooting Gear or Accessories" forum too about a knife store sale.

Kershaw Gentleman's Folder with VG10 steel and Micarta handle. I think they made 500 of them.

I've used a variety of knives over the years. Some better than others.

Lately my favorite is a folding lock blade made with D2 steel by Knives of Alaska. This cleaned an elk and a moose last year without being touched up and then with a cleaning and touchup did a bear this spring.

Very well made and holds an edge very well. The handle and blade shape seem to be very well suited to the purpose of gutting and skinning animals.

Denali Series - Master Guide

I second the quality of "Knives of Alaska" knives. I own the Bushmaster Alaskan Trail/Camp knife and have only praise for it. Great steel (D2), sharp and holds an edge well.
    Conceal nothing. And watch the fools search forever...

I guess my post on the Hunting/Shooting Gear forum was deleted due to the fact that I mentioned a specific store. Send me a PM if interested in learning more about the anonymous store with the sale. I have nothing to gain from this but am just trying to help out fellow hunters and I know I always can use a good deal.

I have a jack ingram hunting video from africa, he uses the double d serated drop point hunting knife on an ELEPHANT!!! Still sharp enough to do the rest of his trip after the elephant! That is what sold me on it, and it is blaze orange handle, so it isnt easy to lose at camp or skinning in the field.

Said the guide was blown away and that no one knife had ever done an elephant without sharpening it. Also, said he wasnt advertising for cutco. Seemed honest enough.

HATT Knives are very good knives I personally own two and so does my dad and bil. He is located in Enderby61
    SHIT HAPPENS! Usually when the big one decides to show himself!

I bought a Knives of Alaska Alaskan Hunter last winter and have used it on a couple of bear and a couple of cattle here on the farm and I have to say it's doing great. I would certainly buy another, though the custom knives that Ddog is making sure look tempting too. I should add that getting a Lansky sharpening system has really helped all my knives.

My time to comment. I have run a Heinz Leber knife and several from another local knife maker here in the peace area. They are all the best knives you can run. Heinz is no longer with us nor is predecessor. Best knives money could buy.

The other knives I own are from Farmington's own Joe Breti. Every bit a good knife if not better at a fraction of a cost. Therefore I own 3 of his hunting knives plus one fillet knife. All of this ran $149 with a nice hand made sheath. Best steal and edge you will find.

There a lot of good knife makers in BC, you should have no trouble finding a handmade knife for $100 to $200. Most use good modern steels and get or do proper heat treating. Look for a knife with ATS-34,440-c, Cpm-154, S30-V or even D-2 all make a good blade. Look for a maker who will take you knife back for cleanup and sharpening,at no charge and provide some limited guarantee.