Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking meals

Backpacking meals

Just wondering what everyone takes on their extended backpacking hunts? Weight is obviously a consideration, as is getting enough "fuel" (the right combo of calories, carbs, and protein) to keep the fire going for up to 8 days. What is everyone doing for their breakfast/lunch/suppers/snacks? I'll be looking at a bunch of the dehy meals (like Mtn House) and I know from having eaten them in the past some are good, and some are nasty IMO. Any suggestions on good ones, and ones to avoid? We'll be using a little stove, possibly a JetBoil or similar stove.
    Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backpacking meals

best I have found are lipton pasta side kicks. the butter and herb noodles only require water, you don't need to add the butter and they still taste good you get a good amount of carbs and calories for energy. I also take home made jerky for protien and dried fruit like pineapple for energy. all light weight and good energy food

Mountain House meals hands down. have not had a bad one mind you the scrambled egggs and bacon (the only breakfast I have tried) was not that great. Favs are:

Beef Stoganoff
    Chicken Teryaki
    Turkey tetrazini
    Lasagne

The lipton noodles ane sauce are good and hell of a lot cheaper but they use up alot of fuel as you actually have to boil water then cook them for like 10 minites. Where as the dehydrated meals you just ass boiling water and wait.

BHB

Devilbear Guest

I make up a lot of my own, especially on short trips where I do not carry a stove and only eat dry food and drink water.

But, my favourite of the currently available freeze-dried foods are the "Nature's Havest" ones from eastern Canada and we usually add a bit of spice, a drip of olive oil and some extra fish or meat to these. My buddy is a freakin' gourmet cook in the bush and can create meals from these that just are excellent and they seem to keep you full for hours, not like some other FD meals I have had.

Mami ichiban from superstore is a cheap addition to having mountain house meals and takes just a tiny bit more fuel. High in fat and calories.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

i found those mountain house meals all taste the same "noodles with some chunky stuff in them"
    good power bars & powdered drink suplement work well

MRE's from a army surplus store. They contain main course, dessert, snacks and coffee and tea for the same price as one mountain valley pack.

mountain house, lasange and pasta primavara. Those are the two that I like the best.

I used mountain house as well. They taste pretty good but there is so much salt in them i found i was badly dehydrated after eating them.

Salt intake is essential in not getting dehydrated.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA