Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2009 ' HIT-list ' .......

Re: 2009 ' HIT-list ' .......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Hey steve how did your trip go over at NZ ,got any pic of any game animals when you where there ???.
    It sucked ass !!..lol...I'll put up pics some time when I get enregetic..still jet lagged.
    I hunted with some locals who's hunting skills werent quite ' honed' yet..and they werent into hunting horns either....the place is messed up for the public. You dont really have a chance at hammering a BIG one unless you go with an outfitter on a private ranch. Meat prices in Europe drove it to around $9.00 a lb..so the heli 'cullers' have been hitting it hard...you can hunt in NZ yr round , shoot all night or day at anything that moves...combo this with the heli's shooting the shit out of the bachelor groups in the spring ( and the rest of the yr)from the air = some terrified animals. The jungle they are hiding in is the equelivant of still hunting an 8ft deep patch of island salal.I was finding 00buck shot up on the chamois ridges...( from the heli guys)...some local hunting groups are trying to get things changed...read some articles on it , sad state.
    I also met a heli pilot who was guideing some rich americans and mexicans...they had been flying ALL day for 2 days , saw 2 deer....now THAT gave me some ecouragement!!...lol...the guy's I was with shot one female deer last yr after hunting for 4 months....its deffinitely 'different' down there....all our hunting laws are pretty well broken down there legally...you can drink and drive , shoot out the window of a moving vehicle with a rifle ( while drinking a beer) and as well have silencers...so...if you really want a fair chase LARGE red , I would suggest Argentina or Europe...unless you want to hunt a fenced private property with ' managed' animals.
    Last edited by proguide66; 04-13-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Sorry to hear of the sad shape the hunting is in down there.Sounds like disappointing trip.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

[quote=proguide66;443840]..and some already KNOW who the potential 'victim' is

Last year a month before the season opened(5-03) we saw this very large buck. Our guess-well over 200 lbs. The antlers were large and wide & still in velvet. He was eating the green grass right where I would normally park my camper (Y-camp-one of our favourite camps). He was a local deer-searched for him up and down the hillsides, tops, watering holes & creeks in Sept., Oct. & Nov. but no signs. This will be the year

Here he was last year
    http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/DSCN0453.jpg

i,ve got my eye on a very nice blacktail,i saw him twice last season and hope to get him with the bow. if leh comes up gooseggs i hope to pay mr 6by6 rocky elk a visit.just have to stay healthy and hope the job doesn't dissapear.

I am really anxious to try and get a ground squirrel with my 22-250, one in particular has been eluding me for the last three years. If that fails the next trip planned will be for a stones sheep. The hike in off the highway may kill me though as it takes close to two days. Plan on hiking in a couple of days before the season to try and set up on the ram of my dreams before the outfitter shows up.