Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Boars (european big pigs) in Canada?

Re: Boars (european big pigs) in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    at large is not feral , advise like yours could land you in some legal hot water . Judgeing by some of your posts it seem like you very well be an Officer LOL
    There's a difference between 'at large' on posted, fenced land and loose in the wild.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Hog definition:

Feral hog.
    A feral hog is a domesticated pig breed that either has escaped or is purposely turned loose into the wild. Often feral hogs interbreed with wild hogs, where they exist, or with feral hogs of other breeds. A domestic hog remains a domestic animal even if it is kept in a high fence enclosure on game farm or hunting preserve regardless of the size of the enclosure. It only becomes feral when the animal is no longer under animal husbandry control, i.e. turnd into to the wild or escaped.

Wild hog.
    A wild hog is an animal that is a pure breed Russian or European wild hog.
    The pure breed "wild hog" retains that description regardless of it been kept in a animal husbandry system (farm, zoo, game park or hunting preserve) or as a species introduced to other parts of the world into the wild.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 11-05-2008 at 11:35 AM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    There's a difference between 'at large' on posted, fenced land and loose in the wild.
    the idiom at large would mean not confined or captive so an animal at large would in fact be loose .

If someone were to listen to you then they could go shoot someones horse that was turned out on crown land for a break or had gotten free... Well you know the rest .

Why dont you give it a try and tell us how it works out

I guess there is a reason why Rightenant is not a designated rank

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    the idiom at large would mean not confined or captive so an animal at large would in fact be loose .

If someone were to listen to you then they could go shoot someones horse that was turned out on crown land for a break or had gotten free... Well you know the rest .

Why dont you give it a try and tell us how it works out

I guess there is a reason why Rightenant is not a designated rank
    You’re absolutely right Barracuda. At large, is an expression usually used in politics and in reference to media (editor at large). At large means free to roam at will but not out of human control, as in free range animal husbandry. A horse or any domesticated animal that is turned loose on a free range such as crownland open for livestock grazing is at large. If the animal is released or turned loose into the wild and not any loner under the control of a husbandry system it becomes feral.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Wild horses and pigs destroy habitat and anything introduced and gone feral should be shot and removed from the land. Wild horses in Alberta are a damned nuisance, threat to habitat and other livestock, and the govt can't now figure a way to get rid of them. Can't risk the same happening here. One horse at large is the next feral breed stock.

I guess if my dog was running loose on crown land while a rancher who shot it should equally held to account, but we know where the blame lies... although my dog was 'at large'.

... popcorn's ready!
    Last edited by Ltbullken; 11-05-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Regards,

Ltbullken

I would be very carefull shooting anything not listed in the regs. In BC we have about 400 true wild horses, in the Nemaiah Valley, and you can not shoot them. But if you want to shoot random game, let me know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post

I guess if my dog was running loose on crown land while a rancher who shot it should equally held to account, but we know where the blame lies... although my dog was 'at large'.

... popcorn's ready!
    A dog running wild is a very different matter then livestock on free range grazing land. The farmer/ ranger has to obtain permission to have his livestock turned loose on grazing land. The open grazing ranges are fenced and gated (cattle guards). Livestock cannot randomly wander where they want outside of the fenced area.

A dog running loose without supervision is not restricted and can roam wherever it wants to, making it a “feral” or “straying” animal.

Hogs, especially in over populated areas, can inflict great damage to environment and wildlife. But where the populations are strictly controlled they ad an exiting and challenging option to hunting.

I bc if you have something like pigs, bison ,exodic goats get onto crown land you have 3 days to get them back. If you can`t get them back on private land they are to be shot. This happened to a friend of mine about 5 years ago his bufflo got out after three days he had to shoot them. I was fighting fire in kelowna and missed the bison hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter33 View Post
    I would be very carefull shooting anything not listed in the regs. In BC we have about 400 true wild horses, in the Nemaiah Valley, and you can not shoot them. But if you want to shoot random game, let me know how it turns out.
    400... really?

That's why there's no moose there!! Now I know why...
    Regards,

Ltbullken

Quote Originally Posted by hunter33 View Post
    Laws are very clear that stallions and swine are not permitted to be at large. Remedies are not always clearly spelled out but animals that destroy habitat can be destroyed.
    Regards,

Ltbullken