Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep

Re: Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Pull ups, str8 bar dips, diamond push ups, hanging leg raises 80°, inverted rows. Monday

Squats, hip thrust, bulgarian split squats, dragon flags, commando burpees. Tuesday

First exercises repeat but chin ups instead of pull ups. Wed

Lunges, romanian deadlift, step ups (balance concentrated), commando burpees, dragon flags. Thurs

Repeat exercises from top of list. Fri

^^ this is my week then bush/mountain hiking all weekend

The two leg days will go sets of 15-20 light one week, then 8-10 medium next week, then sets of 3 heavy.

Not a sheep hunter but will be next year but stay in good shape with this, warm ups consist of certain pre joint prep (scap pulls/shoulder stuff) and running or jumping jacks/skip rope.
    Right on, I have a somewhat similar schedule, but I take Thursdays off...

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    I havent done squats myself so cant say if it helps or not but for me i find if you pack up in the hills everyday it builds up the stamina. You dont necessarily have to be strong just need to be able to go. i hunted once with a gym workout guy who was all muscle, he was good for a a while and them started wilting especially if your burning more calories than your are taking in everyday. Going up and down the hills sheep hunting you burn way more calories that you can eat. I know guys like to ride bikes, hike with packs. treadmill , stationary bikes and stair climbers for training. Climbing stairs is good
    Ya definitely makes sense.. I try to hike longer distances with the pack on as well
    Basically good to train for strength, endurance, and cardio, a good balance IMO...

Some good info there Mod7...

Continuing with
    Last edited by stoneramhunter; 05-30-2024 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    Continuing with my 40 pound pack hiking sheep program. I'm trying out a few different sock manufactures kind of leaning towards kenetrek as my first choice then smart wool merino socks lastly my icebreaker socks.
    Try a sock liner. After many 2000 ft climbs last summer in prep for sheep, I was trying various sock set ups and the best was always a sock liner and a pair of darn toughs.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Try a sock liner. After many 2000 ft climbs last summer in prep for sheep, I was trying various sock set ups and the best was always a sock liner and a pair of darn toughs.
    Any Particular sock liner?
    I too like the Darn Tough!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    Any Particular sock liner?
    I too like the Darn Tough!
    I use a merino blend one. It's at the house so I forgot the name. It has some venting by the toes. Light and allows the foot to float a bit in the boot and pulls the moisture.

Both my buddy and I had zero issues on our sheep hunt. Only thing I'd consider is a stiffer boot for side hilling. That was rough.

I use a pair of meshy socks inside my merino wool outers. I have never had any foot issues. Iuse the same socks when I'm cycling, so if you're looking for some, a bike shop might be a good place to start.

Thanks for the replies gentleman. I'll take a look at a bike shop. If there is a recommended brand, let me know. Socks are so important and I like the idea of trying a liner vs my current setup which is just doubling up socks.

[QUOTE=dapesche;2446191]Try a sock liner. After man
    Last edited by stoneramhunter; Yesterday at 10:49 AM.