Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Study finds wolf culls working for Caribou recovery

Re: Study finds wolf culls working for Caribou recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Yawn….. when they located the mt caribou to the purcell range the EK was crawling with cougars and wolves where on a steep rise. It was nothing to go out and tree multiple cats a day, problem was there were too many cougar hunters, so anything with even a bit of size was dead. The rest just got chased around every day, and had to keep killing anything they could find as they all got chased off their kills everyday. It was nothing to see truck after truck with dog boxes at tim hortins in the wee hours of the morning in Cranbrook any day of the week, but especially weekends. Those guys were late BTW, someone was already sitting on the fresh tracks since 3 am….and you know this. Who needed to buy hounds, many were free, everyone and their dog had dogs? That how it was there a dozen years ago when the transplant happened and mule deer, and some wt areas were already in the tank.

I know thats changed big time….. when people realize all the game were getting ate by claw and fang they took it upon themselves to manage the situation. End of story. From what I hear it worked!!

10-15 years of the same old tripes, oh the poor cougars!

Ya wants some big cats LBM, come to northern Alberta, a few 200-220 lbs cats killed every year? Next to no one has hounds. Too many wolves. Big cats!!
    226lbs iirc
    [url=https://postimages.org/]
    some of your logic doesnt seem to add up, you say area was crawling with cougars yet to many hunters killing anything with size and chasing the others every day but if so many cats as you say why have to chase the same one every day.
    How many times did you walk back to the cats kill sites next day to see if they returned to feed on it. Were you actually out hunting cats or witnessed all this from inside the Tim hortons. So in the EK how much have you hunted cats in the last 5, 10 ,15, 20, or 40 years.
    A couple points you make are good you show how hunters can have effect on certain wildlife populations such as they have done on cats in the EK and how the lack of hunters/killing has done in northern alberta, many on here think hunters dont
    have an effect but you have shown it does nd has to be managed.
    Now since this was about caribou and you say it worked how are they doing in the EK is the caribou population on the rise.
    I guess you could say same old thing as well blame everything on cats and wolves.

I hunt a mountain range near the Wigwam and was amazed at how many cats were on the mountain. We stuck the cams up after finding countless bone piles and had 5 different cats within a 5 or 6 km. They definitely clean up quite a few mule deer and yearling elk

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    some of your logic doesnt seem to add up, you say area was crawling with cougars yet to many hunters killing anything with size and chasing the others every day but if so many cats as you say why have to chase the same one every day.
    How many times did you walk back to the cats kill sites next day to see if they returned to feed on it. Were you actually out hunting cats or witnessed all this from inside the Tim hortons. So in the EK how much have you hunted cats in the last 5, 10 ,15, 20, or 40 years.
    A couple points you make are good you show how hunters can have effect on certain wildlife populations such as they have done on cats in the EK and how the lack of hunters/killing has done in northern alberta, many on here think hunters dont
    have an effect but you have shown it does nd has to be managed.
    Now since this was about caribou and you say it worked how are they doing in the EK is the caribou population on the rise.
    I guess you could say same old thing as well blame everything on cats and wolves.
    It is well documented that ungulate populations are highly influenced by whats “eating” them, be it predators or people. If we want high ungulate populations its clear we have to manage predators. It’s not really my logic that doesn’t add up it’s your translation. I am saying there USE to be tons of cats, and tons of hunters, and any tom ( a small component of the total population) with any size at all would be harvest and rest were chased all over the country side all season long. Even if the cats did return to the kill whats not to say the wolves or coyotes didnt steal it? Its been documented that wolves poach from cougars regularly.

As stated many time, I moved away, about 11 years ago, however when I lived there I had multiple cougar hunting friends that took me out and we had no problem putting multiple cats up trees every trip so No, not from inside Tim Hortons.

Anyways I have also mentioned before I used to do a lot of shed hunting in the EK one time east of the trench I found around 10 cougar kills in one days( yes there is a difference between cougar and wolf kills.

I don’t know the status of the Purcell caribou anymore but I know from reading the report 10 ish years ago that the transplant failed, iirc they all died, mostly via cougars.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    It is well documented that ungulate populations are highly influenced by whats “eating” them, be it predators or people. If we want high ungulate populations its clear we have to manage predators. It’s not really my logic that doesn’t add up it’s your translation. I am saying there USE to be tons of cats, and tons of hunters, and any tom ( a small component of the total population) with any size at all would be harvest and rest were chased all over the country side all season long. Even if the cats did return to the kill whats not to say the wolves or coyotes didnt steal it? Its been documented that wolves poach from cougars regularly.

As stated many time, I moved away, about 11 years ago, however when I lived there I had multiple cougar hunting friends that took me out and we had no problem putting multiple cats up trees every trip so No, not from inside Tim Hortons.

Anyways I have also mentioned before I used to do a lot of shed hunting in the EK one time east of the trench I found around 10 cougar kills in one days( yes there is a difference between cougar and wolf kills.

I don’t know the status of the Purcell caribou anymore but I know from reading the report 10 ish years ago that the transplant failed, iirc they all died, mostly via cougars.
    No dont think anything wrong with the translation, you have made many comments about cats and hunters and sounds like you dont like both, and many of the comments are just coffee shop talk for you cant back any of them up.
    you dont live here so have no stake in it and dint even when you did live here. So you and your multiple cougar hunting friends you mention which ones were you guys the ones that shot anything or the ones that chased the rest
    all over the country side all season long. As said before if one actually got out and followed animals around would learn a lot more.

On last night's CHECK NEWS, the bleeding hearts claimed the wolf cull was not working!
    71% of voters said the cull should not be continued.
    Where do these conflicting stories originate?
    MM

Arrow Re: Study finds wolf culls working for Caribou recovery

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    Where do these conflicting stories originate?
    In the little minds intentionally poisoned by the lieberals and the NDP. Especially the latter in BC.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me