Do you want to help support HBC? You can contribute through e-transfer to marc@huntingbc.ca or via PayPal

Thread: Do you shoot with your master eye (one closed), or both open?

Do you shoot with your master eye (one closed), or both open?

Just started shooting with both eyes open and man what a difference in my shooting for the better, have been shooting bows since a young boy but took a long hiatus years back. Always shot with my master eye/one closed, never again for me. Can see the whole animal (3D target) and my groups and long shots are much better.

What works for you guys?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Do you shoot with your master eye (one closed), or both open?

Started out in archery one eye closed like shooting rifle. But starting shooting recurve so I made myself shot with both eyes open. Didn't take long to get used to it and scores improved.

Dominant eye and both eyes open, 100%

I do the same shooting through the rifle scope

I actually never understood the reason to shut an eyelid... but I would say people should do whatever they feel comfortable with
    Last edited by caddisguy; 08-06-2024 at 09:46 PM.

I'm about three months into learning how to shoot a bow and my groups at 20 yards are getting more consistent.

I keep both eyes open, level the bow, partially close my non-dominant eye, float on target - shoot.

For rifle I keep both eyes open.

I find with archery I have trouble consistently sighting through my peep if I keep my eyes entirely open - I need to restrict my vision somewhat or I can lose the optic and my shot process becomes disorganized

Dominant eye only for me. Might try both eyes open for a while to see if there is a difference