Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for spring black bear

Re: Tips for spring black bear

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    The best tip is to shoot them on the UPHILL side of the road.
    Hahahaha absoloutley good tip...

We used to eat sardines while sitting in the middle of a logging cut, keep yourself hidden, the bears will find you especially if the sun is shining on the sardine tin.

Haha cooking hotdogs on a fire is not baiting eitheir.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Anchor that black bear with a shoulder shot. Pain in the butt to track, bullet hole can clog up and the pads on there feet can leave zero tracks. By far my absolute favourite hunt is spring black bear. Also cook yourself a nice breakfast in the morning then head out. Don’t need to be up at the crack of dawn
    I agree spring black bear is my favorite hunting season. But i'd like to share the other side of the coin. I've taken two bears that had survived a previous hunter's shot, breaking the upper front leg bone, and healed up with a limp. Only bear I shot and didn't recover was also hit in the leg. You're right they are difficult to track, but I prefer to track a dead bear than a wounded bear, so I aim for a kill shot first. If there's a second shooter along, they can go for the shoulder as backup.

I also see as many bears at first light as last light, so I find it worth while to get up early and eat a late breakfast. I know it's not everyone's favorite to be up that early on those long days in May and June though. There's something relaxing about watching the sunrise and knowing you've got all day, compared to trying to make it all happen quickly before the sun goes down.

Black bear is also my family's favorite meat. Just get out there when you can, stay safe, and have fun.

I've had better luck finding bears in the garbage on diamond Ave in mission big fat ones too. What you do is get a sturdy fishing rod with 300lb test make a moose at the end of your line about 50 ft away with a jar of peanut butter in the center pull real hard when the bear steps in I imagine it's better than sturgeon fishing