Thread: 8-03 Sheep Draw

Question 8-03 Sheep Draw

So my dad lucked out and got the sheep draw for region 8-03 and we are heading up that way to try and get take a crack at it on opening day. Unfortunately, we were unable to scout out the area ahead of time, we made several trip plans all fell through. I am not asking for honey holes, I am just asking for general info of the area like access. We are trying to get into the Snowy Protected Area on foot, but are unsure of the best way to access it. I believe the main way is through Centennial Trail. Although I have found reference to a way that is quicker by paying the natives to be allowed access to their road on this forum. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is still an option and how much it would possibly cost. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I have felt so unprepared for a hunt, especially a dream hunt like this.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 8-03 Sheep Draw

In the 80's we came in through Cawston and drove up to the three lakes area. We then hiked up and came out at Joe lake. I think that the hike took 3 or 4 hours, but it was 30 years ago so I could be wrong. A fairly steep hike to start then gradual up and around to Joe. I think we paid the Richter Family and accessed the road through their property, but you end up on the reserve so you probably would be safer to access the Band properly for access. We haven't been that way for years. By 1990 we did the hike in from the Ashnola river side up Ewert creek trail instead. It is easier than the Webster creek trail which is very steep to start. With packs, it would take us a day to get up on top and partially around to Joe. From Joe it will take a couple or 3 hours to get near snowy. Sorry my info is 30 years old so I don't know current fee or if it is still an option, or even if the road is passable.
    It is beautiful country up on top.
    Be prepared for any weather and probably helicopters or planes buzzing the sheep areas to keep them away from Resident hunters.
    It might be a great year for blue grouse if the season is open when you are there.
    Have fun

Thanks for the help

You’ll be lucky to be able to get permission thru FN land from the direction that Farmer described but it is possible.

It’s a long hike but you can head up the Webster trail or head up Ewart and then up the south slopes.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

It's a pretty special draw. I would consider paying FN a sizable chunk of $$$ if it would cut down my hike time significantly and allow better access.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    You’ll be lucky to be able to get permission thru FN land from the direction that Farmer described but it is possible.

It’s a long hike but you can head up the Webster trail or head up Ewart and then up the south slopes.

SSS
    With the current state of the Ashnola herd this is especially true.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Ewart creek is a great trail about 8km if I remember correctly to get to the A-frame cabin. There is good water there plus I have seen sheep very near the south slopes even in the early season. From there you would be wise to hike to Joe lake and again I saw rams there although when I had the draw we didn't see any rams that we could be sure were legal. I heard the cabin at joe lake burnt a few years back so bring your tent. I wouldn't worry about not paying as the hike is not bad and the hike in is part of it anyway. A sheep hunt isn't supposed to be easy. If you get one be prepared cause you could have a long pack out.