Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear

Re: Spring Black Bear

Glad we're talking harry cameltoes nothing like a fall bear bbque

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I actually want to try spot and stalk... see a bear in the alpine and close the gap. I know a guy who might take me somewhere to do that.

Sniffing out a bear and seeing him appear up close is neat. You don't get to pick and choose though and make sure your rifle is reliable.
    Long stalk getting real close is the best for me. Sounds like your bear hunting has been mostly close thick bush locations.

Another option for long stalks is along the Fraser in region 3. It's not alpine but grassland/sagebrush. Crawling up close in the sagebrush can be a blast and gives enough cover to get real close

Frikin spell check still out in the bush. Heading for my campsite I have a good pile to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by northernbc View Post
    There is nothing like a fall bear ,clover and Berry fed spring bears are for hides. Don't fool your self. There is meat on a spring bear but the real meat is on a fall bear
    Can't argue a bear that has been feeding heavy on berries is really good. Most fall bears I have taken were eating rose hips still good but proffer the spring bear over these

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    My bets are first bear success on HBC won't be till the last few days of April. ......
    Hhhmmm?? Betting is good.....
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I feel that the spring bears No matter what they are eating are skinny. Comparatively to a fall bear. I have taken both but I stand by my theory that a fall bear 3 years old no fish and no gut piles. Eating clover and berries are the good ones. I eat 2 bears a year. Have tried all different types but I am firmly convinced

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Hhhmmm?? Betting is good.....
    Rumours of dead bears have been mentioned so I could be wrong already lol

have not seen a HBC member post personal success yet though.

Or do you have one hanging?

If I was a spring bear guy one would be down today

Quote Originally Posted by northernbc View Post
    I feel that the spring bears No matter what they are eating are skinny. Comparatively to a fall bear. I have taken both but I stand by my theory that a fall bear 3 years old no fish and no gut piles. Eating clover and berries are the good ones. I eat 2 bears a year. Have tried all different types but I am firmly convinced
    its the added grease of the fall bear it don't care for. I just like lean meat in general personal thing

I have no issue eating either as long as they are not into fish(won't shoot) or heavy on skunk cabbage (becomes heavily spiced sausage)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Long stalk getting real close is the best for me. Sounds like your bear hunting has been mostly close thick bush locations.

Another option for long stalks is along the Fraser in region 3. It's not alpine but grassland/sagebrush. Crawling up close in the sagebrush can be a blast and gives enough cover to get real close

I was was actually looking at locations today at grassland/sagebrush locations for exactly that spot and long stalk method.
    ~Wes