Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Generator???????

Honda Generator???????

So I took the plunge and bought a Honda 3000is generator. So now for a question....For power to the tent for heaters,lights .....etc.....I'd like to use the 23.3amp three pronged locking outlet. What do I need? It seems you need and adapter first then obviously a cord of your choosing but which is best? How long of a cord is suitable? Gauge?......I also wonder if an adapter is needed then why didn't they just make the frigging machine with the adapted end in the first place? but I assume I'm missing something and thats understandable considering this is my first gen......So would appreciate any tips,suggestions especially from people who own this generator. I'll be mounting it in the bed of the truck and will run it with the exhaust extension to the outside. I have the remote installed so,the theory goes, shut it off at bed time....turn back on warm up tent then get out into warm tent.
    any help is appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Honda Generator???????

there is an adapter but I would get that type of male end and put it on your cord
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

They show pictures of different types of plug ends in Princess Auto catalogue. I don't know what quality they are nowadays but al least you'll know what amp volt you need.

Want do plan on powering up.... List everything and are they all going to be on at the same time ... Some people have micro waves.. Kurig coffee machines.. Boom box... Fridges... Freezers..some coolers.. Even seen expresso machines to big screen tvs.... Once you know what you plan to power up.. You can decide on the cord requirements.

As a general rule... First 100 feet.. Number 12 wire
    after 100 feet to 200... Number 10 wire.. Then number 8 wire.
    Last edited by Ferenc; 05-13-2016 at 08:43 PM. Reason: I'm at work and couldn't finish what I started. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Want do plan on powering up.... List everything and are they all going to be on at the same time ... Some people have micro waves.. Kurig coffee machines.. Boom box... Fridges... Freezers..some coolers.. Even seen expresso machines to big screen tvs.... Once you know what you plan to power up.. You can decide on the cord requirements.

As a general rule... First 100 feet.. Number 12 wire
    after 100 feet to 200... Number 10 wire.. Then number 8 wire.
    The light stuff will be lights and recharging batteries but for evening and morning some sort of ceramic heater(s). number 12 wire it would be then because I'd doubt I'd need more than 50 feet but I'd probably get two 50 foot so if I ever found myself in a situation where more distance was required I could just connect them......

That makes sense instead of messing around with an adapter then a cord.

What ya want to get is some.... Cabtyre ... From the eletrical distributers.. Make up your own cords. : )

The twist lock outlet is for direct plug in for your camper or RV and is generally used for RV's with AC and a big draw. the other outlets that are on the unit are plenty for the other uses that you stated, the biggest draw is your tent heater and at 1000 watts you can run it with a 12 ga wire assuming not over 50' You can use the twist lock plug if you make your own cord those plugs are readily available at most hardware stores.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Stupid question, but did you purchase a genny with main purpose being to heat your tent? I'm going to assume we're not talking about a wall tent?

we all know how easy it is to lose an adapter
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.