Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wandering about elk

Re: wandering about elk

ya just wandering how talkeyive they are during now season, taking my dad back to were i used to hunt, just hoping they are talking, hes laughing any way, but would like to pull another bull with my bow. like those 10- 3 yrd shots. closest ive taken one was a small 5 at about 5 feet. planning on leaving around the 28 - 30 th of this mounth.

Quote Originally Posted by big game walker hounds View Post
    ya just wandering how talkeyive they are during now season, taking my dad back to were i used to hunt, just hoping they are talking, hes laughing any way, but would like to pull another bull with my bow. like those 10- 3 yrd shots. closest ive taken one was a small 5 at about 5 feet. planning on leaving around the 28 - 30 th of this mounth.
    Don't worry ,the elk will be yakking a storm up the first week of Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    I've watched lots of different ungulates spar at all times of the year. Some I believe is just play, but most of it is determining the pecking order in the group. Even does kick and push one another to be "top dog".

Although the breeding instinct in the elk is determined by the number of hours of daylight in a day, the level of rut activity is most often affected by lots of other factors such as weather, moon phase, availability of water in the high country, hunter pressure, etc. Some years they are running all over the place and bugling lots, other years they aren't. I've been on 2 week elk hunts where I haven't even heard a bugle, then the next year they keep you awake at night screaming at the moon. Some years I've been tagged out by 10 am opening morning, other years it took me over a week to even see a cow elk. Ya never know - that's why it's called hunting.
    Yes true fisher dude ,but you have to remember one thing ,there in rut and there there you just have to find them.

I'm a firm believer the only thing that is of real relevance to the actual rut is when the cows come into estrous.
    Yes the bulls know its coming but it's all foreplay, they arent truly rutting til those cows are ready to breed.
    Then you get those REAL magical 3 days of complete chaos.
    I just watched a free dvd with the bok Im reading, "Elk Hunting The West," it has footage of what Mike Eastman calls a rut fest. Pure chaos, elk screaming, chasing, fighting, glunking, cows chirping in a remote meadow. Unreal to watch.
    It only confirmed that it is all on the cows.
    Good book by the way, if you hunt elk, it's worth reading. Twice.
    Anotehr good book I just read is Bowhunting Trophy Blacktails by Cameron Hanes, another good read.
    Next is, "Backcountry Bowhunting." By then I should be driving east and my island bow buck will be @ the butchers
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

The cows will not come into estrus until the amount of light hitting the retna is just right. This is dependant on the time of year, early September for us, when the days become shorter. Some elk bugle anytime of the ear, I've herd them in the spring. That is not the rut..

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    I'm a firm believer the only thing that is of real relevance to the actual rut is when the cows come into estrous.
    Yes the bulls know its coming but it's all foreplay, they arent truly rutting til those cows are ready to breed.
    Then you get those REAL magical 3 days of complete chaos.
    I just watched a free dvd with the bok Im reading, "Elk Hunting The West," it has footage of what Mike Eastman calls a rut fest. Pure chaos, elk screaming, chasing, fighting, glunking, cows chirping in a remote meadow. Unreal to watch.
    It only confirmed that it is all on the cows.
    Good book by the way, if you hunt elk, it's worth reading. Twice.
    Anotehr good book I just read is Bowhunting Trophy Blacktails by Cameron Hanes, another good read.
    Next is, "Backcountry Bowhunting." By then I should be driving east and my island bow buck will be @ the butchers
    In the early rut ,that is when you want to sound like a cow in estrous ,the bulls think o boy she is in estrous ,i found a gal that is ready and he comes running ,i have had this happen many times in the first week of Sept.

Sooo... you don't have to hear elk bugling then to use a call to attract a bull in the early season, is that right?

Wink Re: wandering about elk

Quote Originally Posted by mooseless View Post
    Sooo... you don't have to hear elk bugling then to use a call to attract a bull in the early season, is that right?
    That is correct ,. The bulls are looking for one thing and that is cows. But i will give a few bugles ones and a while but most of the time i will use the cow call.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 08-18-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Crap, sure is a lot of talk about elk hunting in the east Kootenays, which is funny cause there aint no elk in the east kootenays.........